Paralysis by Analysis

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ahenderson, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Ahenderson

Ahenderson New Friend

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey all, thanks for stumbling on this thread. I'm an undergrad in my first year at university, in classical performance, and on the advice of my teacher, we changed my mouthpiece placement about 4 months ago. I'm just recovering and starting to play like I used to before, only much more comfortably. I had a nasty habit of pulling my lip before putting my embouchure on my lips. Now, I'm wondering about my new placement, (and I've been maybe worrying too much, hence the title of the thread), I seem to add just a bit of lip to the left when I breathe, which sort of means I take longer to breathe just before playing. I was wondering if ;

1.This habit will diminish over time ( maybe it’s a normal thing to do)

2. I should change my mouthpiece. I place mine the way it is because of the position of my front teeth. If I had something a bit less wide (with a smaller diameter), maybe it would help ? ( I play on a 14d4)

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers,

Alex.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    No one here can answer you nearly as well as your teacher. He or she sees and hears you play, therefore they are the best to ask your questions and give you valid answers. None of us here can hear or see you play.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. Ahenderson

Ahenderson New Friend

Oct 16, 2008
    Very true. I was just wondering if other players have tiny habits like that when they put their mouthpiece to their lips.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 ! :-)