Parduba Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by bigaggietrumpet, Mar 21, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, I heard that Harry James used a dual-cup Parduba. Does anyone know anything about these mouthpieces? I'm just kinda curious.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I have played one. Very interesting pieces. It has a shallow cup, and then a small cup going into the backbore (hence the name "double cup"). The idea, of course, it to give a player the advantages of a shallow mouthpiece (range & endurance) without the problems (tone and low notes).

I never could get used to it. I sounded fine on it -- it just seemed too different to me. But there are those who love them. I think if you want to scream and then play in the staff within moments of each other, this mouthpiece is worth a try. Never being a screamer, I didn't fit the MO.

M&C

3. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Hmm, I kinda figured that. How much do they run, usually?

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There are half a dozen of 'em on Ebay right now.
    Just "drill down" through "All categories", "musical instruments", "Brass" and then enter "parduba" in the search window.

6. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Thanks guys.

7. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi bigaggietrumpet,

I played Bach C-cups all through school. Last year I was given a Monette B4LD and instantly fell in love with it. In case anything happens to my Monette, my back-up mouthpiece is (currently) a Parduba 6.

The Monette has a fuller sound. The Parduba takes less air. Articulation, etc. is similar (for me) on both pieces.

Personally, I don't necessarily consider the Parduba a "screamer" mouthpiece. Either you have the chops or you don't. But...the Parduba does have a fairly wide rim, so it can "aid" with endurance.

This is only my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. I hope this helps. All the best.

8. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    (Reviving an older thread)

These mouthpieces are not for everyone; and, they are not the "Swiss Army Knife" of mouthpieces.
    I have used them for many years, the originals, and, most recently, the almost exact duplicate "2nd generation" version.
    I have about four cornet models; but, do not use them any longer, since I sound too much like a trumpet. I now only use one mouthpiece for cornet: the vintage Conn "Wonder" (deep V-cup).
    I have different sized Parduba mouthpieces for trumpet, and depending on my "chops" situation at the moment, and the range of the music, I try to choose the correct one (size).
    I have an Alto Fluegelhorn (in G), and use the largest (#8), which was specially made for me by Dick Akright, the present owner of the rights and tooling to the Parduba mouthpieces. This man is a true gentleman, and helped me immensely in his modification to suit my needs.

If you can put your hands on one, give it a try ... you're in for a real treat.
    B-T-W, there is also the similar Buescher "Duo-Cup" (a vintage piece),

Robert Rowe

9. vlstpt

vlstpt New Friend

Feb 9, 2005
    Suffolk County NY USA
    parduba tpt mpc

I believe Harry James purchased his Parduba around the time of the now Infamous Carneige Hall Concert of 1939(I believe I spelled it incorrectly). Harry James Model was 5.5. Other trumpet players played it were Ray Anthony, Louis, and a lot of players during the Big Band era.
    It allows a higher range with less work. :-)

10. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello, vlstpt, and welcome to TrumpetMaster. Looking forward to your "posts".
    I'm no longer living on L.I., but I miss it (I'm from Amagansett). I'm leaving this AM to spend the wk-end in Bridgehampton.

...but, back to the post subject --

I play my trumpets (but, no longer the cornets) with Parduba mpc's. They take some adjustment, but suit my playing style.
    ...Not for everyone, though....

Regards,
    Robert Rowe