Parotid Salivary Gland surgery and it's effects...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Thunderchicken, May 8, 2012.

1. Thunderchicken

Thunderchicken New Friend

Jan 14, 2005
    Rosemount, MN
    Hi,

I am a long time "lurker" here, a "hack" who enjoys playing in church on Sundays, and have done a "search" with no luck. So much for introductions...

Having an almond sized benign tumor on my left parotid gland, I am scheduled to have it removed surgically on May 31. The Ear, Nose, and Throat surgeon has been very forthright regarding the complexity of the procedure due to facial nerves and muscles in the vicinity, but has never dealt with nor been asked about how this may effect trumpet playing? Any ideas or experience in this group?

Thanks in advance for your expertise...

Jon Paschka

2. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I do not think anyone will know this until after your surgery. The question is whether the facial nerve will be damaged, and if so to what extent. I have seen most people come through surgery like this with no problems, and except for the scar you can't even tell they had anything done. Some people have some temporary issues that resolve in a few weeks as the nerves heal. And unfortunately, some have permanent nerve damage that would probably be the end of trumpet playing.

Good luck to you, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Doctor by day...trumpet player by night (and weekends)

Harrelson Bravura B-flat
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Selmer Radial B-flat
    Conn Vintage 1
    Getzen Eterna cornet
    Kanstul 920S picc
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack flugal

3. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Manypeople recover from surgery and continue playing. Check w/ your surgeon on follow up visits.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If you should find that you have difficulties after surgery, don't give up. Continue to try for a long time. I had bell's palsy several years ago and had no control over the left side of my face. Even though I recovered, I could not play trumpet.... coundn't make a sound... for almost a year. Eventually I could make a sound again, and began to rebuild my chops. The point is, if you do experience difficulty, exercise determination with optimism that nerves will repair or regenerate given enough time. Best wishes for a problem-free recuperation.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Make lifestyle changes and try natural medicine first. You are under no threat from the tumor. It can likely be reduced to nothing with natural intervention. I'd give it 3-6 months before doing surgery.

Best case scenario you reduce it to nothing...worst case scenario you go and get the non cancerous growth removed. Hopefully if you get surgery there will be no complications and you return to playing again. Doctors these days love to prescribe uncessary medicine.