Passing of DAVID FLOWERS, NSO

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by ROGERIO, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    DR. DAVID M. FLOWERS , Trumpeter and Contractor, age 69 of Arlington, VA died January 30, 2005 with his family by his side. Dr. Flowers was born December 10, 1935, son of the late Willard Flowers and Mayretta Thomas, and was raised in Weirton, WV. Other members of his loving family whom he is now with include his Uncle Delbert Thomas, Aunt Hester Thomas and Grandmother Almeda Thomas. Dr. Flowers was a 1958 graduate of the University of Michigan receiving his Bachelors of Music in trumpet performance and later his Masters Degree. He went on to receive his Doctoral Degree from the Catholic University of America.

Since 1964, Dr. Flowers has performed with the National Symphony Orchestra as second trumpet. He served on the Music Faculty of the Catholic University of America, American University, and George Mason University in addition to teaching privately. Prior to playing with the National symphony he was a Gunnery Sergeant in the President's Own Marine Corp Band for four years. In addition, he contracted with the Washington Ballet, Choral Arts Society, Kennedy Center, Washington National Cathedral and Church of the Little Flower among others. Survivors include three daughters, Lynn Rigney of Bristow, VA, Marilyn Haight of Warrenton, VA and Eileen Flowers of New York; one son, Gareth Flowers of New York; four grandchildren and longtime companion, Cathy Harl of Alexandria, VA. A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Monday, February 14, 2005 at the Washington National Cathedral, Washington, DC. In lieu of flowers, expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to the Cathedral Choral Society, Choral Arts Society of Washington or a charity of the donor's choice. Condolences may be sent to www.pricefh.com. Published in The Washington Post on 2/6/2005.

2. trmptfox7

trmptfox7 New Friend

Feb 28, 2005
    New York, NY
    Rogerio
    thank you for posting this info. his son, gareth, is my boyfriend (as well as a killer trumpet player) dave's service was beautiful- the nso trumpets were beautiful- and all of the musicians from washington there were just great people. i know dave will be missed dearly by those who knew him- so thank you again.
    rachel
    ps- for the general public: yes, the player who won dave's job auditioned within ten minutes or so of the time of death. quite a coincidence.

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    David Flowers

Thanks for the reply Rachel.

I studied with Dave off and on while in college. After moving to Phoenix in 1993 I would look forward to the televised 4th of July concerts. It was a chance to see old friends like Dave and Adel.

I would like to encourage any past students to post here. To reflect on his talents as a teacher and trumpeter, and to comment on his human qualities... he had great wit and charisma...

He loved telling a story on me... It goes something like this...I would meet him at his mothers townhouse in Alexandria sometimes for lessons... I was just out of High School. I was told to use the back entrance / basement door. One day as I came down the steps I encountered a young couple having an afternoon "get together". Lets just say they were way to busy to even notice me. The instructions were to come in and warm-up. Dave would hear me and come down to give the lesson. Anyway, I waited as long as I could and then proceeded to go to the front door. He was puzzeled why I did this and I was to embarassed to explain. He continued asking what was up thoughout the lesson... finally I gave in and tried explaining... what cracked him up :D ... and why I think he loved telling the story is that I couldn't quite say what they were doing... :oops: but I could make gestures to "suggest" what they were doing :twisted: ... and so it became a rather infamous story.... :cool:

I remember many times meeting the trumpet section back stage at the Kennedy Center and Dave would start this story... and I would turn a few shades of pink :oops: .