Past Life Melodies by Sarah Hopkins

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 8, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I was just wondering if anyone here has ever heard this choral piece before. My highschool's top choir performed this for our Carnegie performance last month. It uses what is called "overtone singing", where the overtones of the voices actualy make the melody. Unfortunatly the hall at my highschool doesn't have the best acoustics, so the piece didn't exactly work out the way we had hoped, but when it was performed at Carnegie (and we all know what Carnegie Hall does to an ensembles sound), the overtones and everything were amazeing!
    The reason I bring this up now is because our CDs from the Carnegie concert just got in and I was listening to it yesterday and was amazed at the quality of the recordng of this piece. I never thought that recording devices could pick up overtones like that, In all my other exceriances it never worked befor, even though I rememberd hearing the overtones when the band or orchrestra was performing, but they never showed up though the recording.
    Anyways, I just thought I would mention to all of you how great this piece is, and if you've never heard it before you should really try to find a performance of it and hear it live, although it's still amazeing, like anything else it just isn't the same over your sterio.
    So anyone who has heard this before, what do you think of it? Is it now one of the greatest choral pieces ever written?