Patching Cracks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 29, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I found a set of instructions from a repair online.
    1. Get a Brass Sheet
    2. cut out as diamond shape.
    3. Solder it on.
    4. Enjoy.

I wish I could do it.
    But I guess I should go to the repair.
    I thought of spare parts but no luck of finding.
    Poor YCR233S Cornet.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Greatly simplified instructions, Brass sheet is usually supplied in a hard condition, cut out the diamond, anneal, if the crack is in the center of a bow then the patch has to be formed to a compound curve to fit, cleaned, soldered cleaned afterward and replated if silver. I have made a female mould from a zinc based casting alloy to form these patches for the small slides.

How much did you pay for the cornet? Is it worth putting money into it? When I was in business only in exceptional circumstances would we do a repair that cost more than half the replacement cost.

Regards, Stuart.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I got it from my teacher.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Electric tape does wonders. I use in place of band aids all the time, once when stitches would have been the sensible thing to do. Also duct tape-"if you can't duct it then f*** it". Copper is more malleable than brass and is already in a tube shape

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I don't know why I didn't think of that. I know a top pro who's been known to show up with electrical tape on his vintage cornet. Looks like crap, but plays like a dream. These days, you can also get duct tape in a wide assortment of colors and patterns (the snakeskin is especially interesting, but clear duct tape would probably be even better for temporary use until you can get it to a repair shop.

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    There's also aluminum duct tape with a paper backing and forgiving adhesive. Look just fine on silver horns