Patrick Hughes Trumpet... Extreme Makeover Home Addition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Feb 18, 2008.

1. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    did anyone else catch this show last night :dontknow: what an inspiration

[​IMG]

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I saw it.
    I live about 4 miles from him.
    Everyone in this city has been paying attention because otherwise this is one *boring* city.

3. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    I saw it as well. I wish they would have said what new trumpet it was that he got. They had no problem explaining Gibson guitars. However it was very inspirational. God bless Patrick.

4. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Patrick Henry Hughes is indeed an inspiration. Here at Kanstul Musical Instruments, we first became aware of him from features we saw on ESPN and on Oprah (say what you will...but I do watch Oprah from time to time)

So when the producers of Extreme Makeover Home Edition approached us about participating in the show on behalf of the Hughes family, we were very excited to do so.

In a pre-production interview, the producers asked Patrick Henry about his wishes and dreams. One of the things he mentioned was that he wanted a trumpet like his teacher's, Dr. Mike Tunnell. The producers contacted Dr. Tunnell who informed them that he plays on a Kanstul Signature with the copper bell (better known as our Model 1500). They asked us whether we would provide such a trumpet, and we agreed.

On the broadcast last night, host Ty Pennington presented Patrick with the Kanstul trumpet during the "reveal" of the marching band's newly-renovated practice field. Patrick played the school fight song on camera. On many levels, it was very inspiring, very emotionally uplifting.

Patrick's said of his new Kanstul Model 1500: "The valves are wonderful" and he added that "it produces a better tone" than his old trumpet. Ty Pennington described it as "an incredible trumpet".

As to why our name was not mentioned, it all comes down to sponsorship. Sears, CVS - and in this episode Gibson - all donated products in value of tens of thousands of dollars. Their names and / or products receiving mention is part of their agreement with the producers of the show (known as "promotional consideration". However, we at Kanstul are pleased that the name was visible on the case and that a distinctive-looking trumpet such as our Model 1500 - with the copper bell and nickel highlights - got so much camera time!

Again, however, Patrick Henry Hughes is, and should be an inspiration to us all!

JustinSmith and MJ like this.
  5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Very cool of Kanstul to do that!

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hats off to Kanstul... class acts all the way!

That was a great episode... sure does make me want to practice. Patrick is an amazing person in every aspect.... WOW!
    -T

7. regularsopguy

regularsopguy New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    i think its pretty cool that Kanstul donated this trumpet especially to such a deserving person!! I know Kanstul has a reputation of not endorsing or donating (i agree with this by the way) but i can't think of a better reason to donate (for promotional reasons or not) than to Patrick Henry Hughes!! what a kid! now I will tell my students there's NO EXCUSE! thanks Kanstul, thanks Patrick!

8. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    home addition: is that some new branch of mathematics? ;D

9. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Bravo Kanstul.