Pawn Shop/Craigslist Finds

Discussion in 'Horns' started by CaptainAddy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    My first horn was a Burbank Benge my dad bought from a pawn shop in Pasadena for $50.00... but that was 1985. I wish I still had that horn.

2. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    That much is true, but there are enough people that just want to make a quick buck off of grandpa's old junk in the attic that I think that that market may still hold strong. Those are always the best, but hardest to find, as they're few and far between.

3. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    A local brass shop repair / sales place told me that he used to go out and buy lots of used horns at great prices especially damaged ones that he knew he could repair and make a huge profit on. Of course in the adage of the Internet world he said that this is very hard to do anymore because everyone is doing it and just like you said people use the internet to look up the value and pricing so they are more aware of what the instrument may be worth. Unfortunately I think this tends to over pricing of instruments based on a name versus the actual condition of the instrument.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's exactly right, and is why I don't look for horns in antique/junk stores and pawn shops much any more. Good finds are still out there, but they are few and far between. Here are a couple more...

1949 Olds Ambassador - junk store find for $12.50 about 30 years ago. Had it overhauled and customized, sold it on one of the trumpet sites for $275 about 3 years ago...I had that little horn a long time.
    [​IMG]

1962 Conn Victor - bought on eBay a few years ago for $27. Dumped about $400 into it for an overhaul and customization. Value today - priceless to me...;-)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Not much so far, but I keep my eyes open:

Getzen Severinsen ('78) for $150 from a pawn shop (still have it) and '64 Olds Ambassador for $10 at a thrift store (put a few $ into it and sold it).

Turtle

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ebay stuff -- Royal Cornet ($28), King 600 (1@$90, 1@$22.50), FE OLDS Eb alto horn - $55 bucks, and at a local antique shop (FE OLDS Cornet -1951 - $35) --- they all play well, all slides and valves work great -- and they all sound good --- BUT hey it is KINGTRUMPET playing them --- so they can't help but sound good ROFL, ROFL

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Pawns around here are usually at 200+ even for student horns. Not really good pickings at all:dontknow::oops:

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    how did you turn a brass bell into a copper one on that cornet??

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Alchemy

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yep, and when I learn to turn brass into gold, I'll be rich...:lol:

Actually, I had the bell copper plated. It turned out really nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011