Pay For Play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think my Mrs. may have offered to pay me to stop playing trumpet a time or two...:roll:

Jim

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You're a step ahead of me. Maybe I shouldn't have made the shed so soundproofed .... I could be missing out on income. :lol:

Turtle

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Fortunatly Ive never had to pay to play. There was a discussion a while back about having to pay the gate entry price to get in to play a festival and I think its a crime to charge performers to help out your cause for free. That being said, I play for free most of the time and feel good to give them their money's worth. When I do get paid its always a pittance and I like it that way. I dont need the stress of having to perform up to the payer's expectations. I always play better than the money warrants and that makes it fun. If I were a real pro, I'd have to find something other than my music to be my joy in life.

$0 to $25

Best wishes.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    A free delicious meal. Not bad. But that's it. Not counting the Band gets collectively sometimes $600 or so, of which I see $000.00, that's ok, it's for the joy of playing!!! Haha

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    But that's a lot more than I get for being the Editor....."Musicain's"??

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yeh BigDub, I'd be in trouble if I had to make a living as a trumpeter. It is good to have a day job.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I saw that but didn't want to stael :)D) you're chance to respond!!! ROFL

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :roll:Turtle rant .... no need to read it .... :roll:

(Big Dub's comment below doesn't make sense now .... )

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    A got paid a stick of gum and a banged up schilke 14a4a, I've also made up to $500 for a one day thing. It does help that not only am I part of a Musicians Union but also in an area with a lot of good paying gigs.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    [One of the guitarists has toured and recorded with Ray Charles, and many others. We rarely get to see him around here, because there's such a small amount of money to be made. It's sad. Still, he comes out during the winter because he loves to play, but he's doing it only for the fun of it.]

Yeah, Turtle, you're not going to see him at all. Sorry to tell you he passed away a while back......... just kidding.