Pay For Play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 17, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey... How did you know she tried to put the money where my "seeds" were????

2. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    LOL...too funny. Ditto, I miss my dad too.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    [​IMG]

4. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    I'll share with you the easiest gig I played for the most money.

It was about 20 years ago at a wedding. The couple was getting married in the courtyard of the Butler Institute of Art in Youngstown.

They had hired a string quartet to play the music for the bridesmaids. They needed me to play a fanfare before the bride walked the aisle. I arrived 10 minutes before the wedding, and the man planning the wedding handed me a case. He wanted me to use the trumpet he gave me. He told me to go up in the balcony and play a fanfare when he gave me a signal. Then he slipped me $150. He told me to leave the horn in the balcony when I was done.

I went up in the balcony took a herald trumpet out of the case. I played a simple fanfare between second line G and third space C. (I used my own mouthpiece.) The fanfare was 10 seconds long. I put the herald trumpet back in the case, and left.

Easiest gig I ever played and I made $150. Of course I've gone to gigs where they decided they didn't need me to play and gave me $50 anyway. But I don't count those because I didn't get to play.

5. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    As a trumpet player, it has varied from $0 to $450. Recording sessions typically pay $ 200. As a keyboard/singer/trumpeter from $0 to $ 1,250. I try and play as much as possible just for the enjoyment (jam sessions, community college jazz band) but playing for the $$ is becoming more important as I get older.
    I've spent a large part of my musical life in the rock genre playing mostly keys, and even there I still invest a good portion of my time pursuing music that means something to me with little financial rewards. This clip is from an ongoing band that has been around for 42+ years, CD we released in June:
    Oz Knozz Kings And Treasures - YouTube
    Not jazz, but I did a lot of horn parts on trumpet, flugel, and alto horn (if you listen to the very end, you'll hear a tiny bit of twisted humor).

I fully believe that you have to spend some of your time just playing for the enjoyment, otherwise you become a mechanic, not a musician.

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Pay for Pay – Does this include the tips women slip into your pants when the horn section comes out in the crowd, or just straight pay……… : )

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No, you can include gay pay, too...:lol:

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Hang on .... I'm doing the math. $150/10 seconds = $54,000/hour. Nice. I don't know, but that could be a record. :thumbsup:

You didn't stay for the food??? :dontknow:

Turtle

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    $54000 / hr…..add a benefit package and now were talkin !!

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    In high school in the 50s we had a 7-piece band that would gig for $50, ergo we made $7 apiece and the driver got the extra dollar. Doesn't sound like much? At 19 cents a gallon $5 would buy enough gas to fuel a car for a week! On that $7 we could briefly live large.

My best was probably a NY's gig in the 60s which paid $175, also good money for the time.

I do have 6 nights with a big band coming up in a couple weeks--dinner show and dance--which will pay $100 a night. That said, the gig is an annual. If I could have made a living playing my horn, I probably wouldn't have become a psychologist.