Pay to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jul 11, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I went to play today with a little strolling band at a carnival.
    When I got there, the people at the gate said I had to pay to get in. I told them I was working but, they said; "we were told, anyone coming in the gate pays $5.00". I did get in free after a little fuss. Next time I'm charging 5.00 more, just in case.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Charge the entertainers admission?

That's a first for me.

Gotta love the power those "Mall Cop" type think they wield.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In their defense, they do get all sorts of stories in the course of a day. After a while, most of us would go on autopilot. The challenged just start that way..........

As B15M proved, you just need to be friendly but definitive.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    They're carneys. Welcome to the circus.
    It's good you got in for free.
    Here's what I've done in similar situations:
    I say:
    "I was contacted by your organization to play for the show and if that's a problem, YOU can explain to your boss why the show didn't have a lead trumpet player or better yet, go get him and we'll both tell him that you won't let me in"
    --------
    It's always good to have a scripted statement for as#@*^$ who try to snooker your dollars from your wallet.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You would think the ugly shirt and weird looking hat and the trumpet in my hand would have been a clue.

They insisted and after a long talk they said, " do what you think is right" so, I went in.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Isn't that a fault of the venue, not providing you a pass or ticket?

Tom

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I've done many playing jobs like that, in every case I (a) had a pass (b) had my name on a list to be let in or (c) a person was stationed at the gate to allow us in. sounds like a first timer set up the job. Better luck from now on
    p.s. a ugly shirt and weird hat only states that you are a trumpet player, not the hired help [LOL]

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We generally get printed passes for our county fair......Buck:oops:

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    An advantage to playing with cheap trumpets on those kinds of gigs is that they can be swung in a non big-band kind of way, need be.

10. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I have a friend who was called to play trombone on an O'Jays gig a few years back. The gig was in Harlem and the audience was primarily African-American, as was most of the band. (The trombonist is white.) He encountered some resistance from a burly bouncer at the club. Finally my friend said, "Do you really think I'd get dressed up in a tuxedo and carry a trombone on my back if I wanted to sneak into an O'Jays concert?" The bouncer let him right in!

Joe - you did the right thing!

Tony