Pay to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    rofl

2. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hey Tony. That story wasn't about our friend Pete M., was it?
    Bob

3. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    No, Bob. But it might as well have been!

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When that happened to me ,I asked them if they paid to get in.When they said no because they were working ,I just stared at them and they let me in.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Now THAT is funny!

I once heard a story where some guys were bringing their wives into the back door of a NYE gig, and the people at the facility started to demand that the wives had to pay full admission price before they could get in. The entire band threatened to walk. That seemed to solve the problem. While the folks at the venue may have been technically in the right, it would have been disastrous for them to lose their band on one of the biggest nights of the year.

Similarly, once in a while my bandleader will get into some kind of dispute with someone else at a wedding reception gig (usually it's the caterer - don't know why they seem to think they are ruling the roost) and since we have a signed rider to the contract that covers virtually all aspects of the gig, my bandleader will say something to the effect of, "ok, fine - have it your way - since that is a violation of our signed contract rider we'll just pack up and leave, and YOU can explain to the bride why she doesn't have entertainment for her wedding reception."

It's amazing how people will comply when the appropriate leverage is utilized.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played the next night and brought my wife in for free. I was most likely wrong to do so.
    They didn't say no but I got an evil look.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    In the same hat and shirt, of course you got the evil look, but why not one from her as well? I'm surprised she went WITH you.

In my house the evil look would have been at home before leaving and the shirt and hat would have been changed.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    She had to come with me because we were going out after the job and there was no time to go home in between. I didn't want to wear the hat and shirt but the band leader said I had to and he hired me.

9. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Has the caterer ever threatened to leave and told the Band to explain why there was no food at the reception? ROFL

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    You mean there is more than ONE working bone player? :D