Pay ?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by B15M, Dec 4, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't understand why when I play an orchestra job I get paid more then when I play a band job. Even when I play lead with a big band it doesn't pay as well as the orchestra.

How did we come up with this scale?

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    hmmm... I find it to be the opposite. I get paid more for big band/commercial stuff then my legit gigs... but also, I'm playing a lot more of big band/commerical stuff... so... I guess it all evens out... I just wanted to type something... hi everyone!

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know if this is a factor, but for me, the orchestra jobs would not pay nearly as much if they did not include mileage fees. Compared to weddings, big band, teaching or commercial playing, they are actually the lowest paying gigs for me when I break it down hourly......but, they are also my most rewarding.

Clarification: the orchestra jobs I am talking about are smaller regional orchestras using freelance players. Not a full-time orchestra position.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Think of it this way:

Why do people pay more to see "Richard III" than they do to see "Rocky V"?

Duke Ellington was a genius but the bottom line was that most people went to hear his band so they could dance to it. Musicians went to actually listen because they appreciated that he, Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and others were special and had new things to say.

Orchestral music has been around a long time and has always had "patrons" of some sort. Today, we're the patrons and we hold it in so much esteem that we've encouraged the government to fund it to an extent.

http://www.historians.org/Perspectives/Issues/2004/0403/0403nch1.cfm

There is no such thing for jazz bands except maybe the LCJO. Popular music has always been at the whim and support of the people who have less deep pockets than the government. They don't support jazz and bands through donations but through attendance.

There's another sad perception that plays into the "value" part of it. I think that there are many more people that look at band members and say "Oh, hell... I can do that." But you get somebody playing a Paganini caprice and suddenly the awe factor rises and so does the price of admission. Think about it. What are you more likely to see a special on TV about: a brilliant 13 year old violinist/pianist or a brilliiant 13 year old euphonium player?

We're just not taken as seriously until a guy like Wynton comes along and talks to America for a whole two weeks about jazz almost every night on PBS. People say that Wynton has done nothing for jazz. What idiocy! The fact that people even know his name is a small miracle.

So, B15M, it's a values thing. If we can get people to dance, great. If we can get them to keep listening when they sit down to rest it's even better. And your scale will go up.

ML

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    And if we can get them to dance while sitting down, we will all get rich.

:D

Great post, Manny. As a musician who does both sides of the fence, I know exactly what you mean.

Mike

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks. I also, selfishly, wanted to put to rest this driven perception that the arts and education have been cut at the federal level with that link I posted.

ML

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

I agree Alex, the milage, number of services and more rewarding playing making it worth it. At least here in GA the hourly breakdown of the regional orchestras isnt all too great.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    OK forget about Rocky and jazz for a minute. When I play a concert with a wind band the union scale is les then when I play an orchestra job in the same town.

Both are either classical type music or they both can be pops and the orchestra job will pay more.