Pedal C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Sep 16, 2012.

1. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't have the knowledge to enter the debate, but here's a suggestion for pedal C as asked by the original poster: Try fingering 1-2-3.....it works for me.

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Rienhardt DID explain why he was against pedals, ask any Reinhardt teacher. I think its in his book. Its a basic part of their teaching and all Reinhardt disciples can and will explain it. Check out the Reinhardt forum in Trumpetherald. Caruso also explained why he recommended pedals if you asked him. He didn't write much but you could get an explanation from Laurie Frink for the asking. Pocius will be happy to explain why she teaches them ( not sure if its in her book). Smiley also explains why he uses pedals in his book. If you are going to make such statements, you should at least do a little investigation or risk a mouthful of foot

3. BrianCade

BrianCade New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Thibaud said to basically get it any way you can.

4. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Wrong, pedal C is open. Find another horn.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  5. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Pierre is wrong.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I can nail an open pedal C only after a 4 hour gig, it lays right in there with my everyday lead mouthpiece.
    The only other way I can get an open pedal C is to use a Bach 1C, (By the way it’s the only Bach I own and that’s because someone gave it to me, and if someone wants it your welcome to it). Other than that I need valves to play the pedal C. I use pedal tones during my first warm up of the day only to get the flexibility going and need valves for the pedal C. I’ve never seen a pedal written in music and never been asked to play one during a performance on trumpet. Is it nice to go down to a pedal and flex up a few octaves then back down without changing my chop set……yes……it lets me know I’m set correctly. That’s it for pedals for me. It’s how I use them and only how I use them. The money is always made above them. If you want to be able to say you can nail a pedal C open, 3 to 5 hours a day x 365 in the practice room ought to get you close, no one can tell you exactly how, because they are not you. And if you are ever asked to perform a pedal C, the conductor could care less HOW you perform it, or if you use valves or not, he won’t even care if you stand on your head to get it, only that you hit it, if it takes valves, so be it…. The opinions of all the great players and teachers on pedal C is speculative at best, because each of us have to do it with what we’ve been given, and find that slot on our own, no different than Dbl C or any other note you are trying for and don’t own. Of course coming on here and asking advice on how other people do it is great info, and why all of us are drawn to trumpet master, but, you STILL have to find it on your own, no one can help you. Local, once again you hit the nail on the head.

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    By using all three valves you have lengthen the horn, and you will not develop the correct feel for a true pedal C. Listen to Bill's Knevitt's recording "How To Develop Your Range To Third Pedal C" mp3 download
    $3.00. http://www.latorremusic.com Why not learn to play them correctly? Three bucks and a few hours later you will be playing a pedal C the right way.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Q: Why not learn to play them correctly?
    A: Because it's pointless and takes time away from practicing useful skills.

coolerdave likes this.
  9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Wrong

coolerdave likes this.
  10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, since you put it that way...nope, I'm sure it's still pointless and a waste of time.