Pedal to the metal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    "What was wrong yesterday could be right today and what is right today may be wrong tomorrow".

Local .357 1999

I sometimes find it a paradox upon finding that the best sound coming out of the horn occurs when the face of the trumpet player turns scarlet. His chops mashed like grapefruit in the juicer. Seen it in myself often. Scary to the casual observer. or another way to put it:

"Trumpet playing gets ugly".

Terry Warburton circa 2004. Referring to blowing high notes.

In practice and maybe even in most rehearsals I won't dare mash the mouthpiece into my chops. I know the note is there so why punch it when it doesn't count? What my High A should disappear overnight? B/S. It's still there so I don't push it. But in concert with an audience? It's pedal to the metal.

Sure we should save energy. Cherry pick parts and delegate as much high notes as possible to the other cats in the trumpet section. As much as they can handle. It's what they're for.

but the scream solo and finale out-chorus is all yours. If you're playing the Trumpet 1 book that is. As well as the majority of the lead. Holding back is not part of the job description. Take a deep breath, blow like hell. Damn the torpedoes and all that stuff. Pedal to the metal. Tomorrow might not give you a second chance.

I've never been a fan of Nascar. Nor hot rods. But I do think the effect is similar to the lead trumpet player's job. Similar in sound too. So: Know when to say and when. And then?

Pedal to the metal. it's a phrase best learned than explained. You will KNOW what I mean when you get there..

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Interesting.......

In rehearsals or practice, I play just as I would on the gig.

The rest of the band has to know what it will be like and how it is going to sound. No sense having them be shocked on a gig.

Cherry pick charts? Not me, I am paid to play the lead book, not to give charts away to others. They are paid to play the 2nd & 3rd books. That's why they are there.

Your whole post seems to me to be an essay on what NOT to do as a lead player.

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Plenty of ways to skin a cat Solar. Methinks you merely prefer to disagree with me regardless of the concept. Had I said "it snows often in Buffalo during the winter" ?? You'd have said it was sunny all year.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and YET, local357 is a lead player in a band (both trombone and trumpet) -- that is unless the creds he gave me were from someone else -- but then again -- there is a lead player in the bands website he gave me, that indicates someone (near his age) can play both instruments at a very high level of proficiency.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gee I forgot to ask local357 if he ever puts on a tuxedo and only plays 1 part -- perhaps the Lead -- and if he ever got paid for --- JUST ONE PART ---????

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Sorry, Local, I am also a long time lead player and it's just not the way I do things.

Nothing personal, and I don't remember any place here on TM where I have publicly disagreed with you.

7. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Sure many times but that is not always the best way to approach the task.

My regular big band played four sets earlier in the year. I delegated near half the lead charts to our strong second player. Around the last set he stopped accepting the scream book. Was too tired. So I carried on business as usual. Last man standing. By the end even the cat on third tpt. couldn't play a note you could hear. Four sets of lead is a LOT of blowing...

You delegate those charts to other strong players to both keep them happy and to save yourself to add the fire extra strong when and where applicable. By doing this the WHOLE TRUMPET SECTION PLAYS STRONGER and with more heart.

I could have played the whole lead book the whole night. Like so many of those "squeak artists" who while being able to get the notes don't really DOMINATE so much... While I'm on the subject:

About a year ago i got dissed by a fellow neighborhood cat who said "he (Local) plays too loud". Stated it on another trumpet forum somewhere. I didn't take the criticism too seriously as I'd seen the guy play lead himself in another band. guess what?

I couldn't hear him hardly at all! So he had a right to feel mad. his own insecurity caused to him to resent those who can play the lead book with the proper authority and balance.

Sure one can play the whole lead book and take a check for it. But can they DOMINATE? Because if they don't I consider them shortchanging the audience, their band mates and themselves.

So OF COURSE they RESENT people like me!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just for the record -- thank you -- and I listen to your advice --- I have practiced "softly" on my comeback of a little more than 3 years --- and getting the "balance" just right in the community band (trumpet) to complement the band is coming along (I often need to play louder -- pp is much softer for me than most of the other trumpet players). I read a lot of your posts --- and of course the trombone is coming along also ---- and YES, your advice to:, "just tongue and blow" is really KEY to the trombone for me (just learning it for 3 months) --- and "giving it" the air and trying to play loud is much better than -- the soft finesse technique that I had been using. Looks like I might be able to play the community band charts for the summer parades --- they got 1 parade trombone player -- and I will make 2 (just for the summer) --- and that will make the whole band better!!!!!!!!! at least that is the plan!!!!!!!

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Hate to be so moderate, but here we see two accomplished musicians with two different view points. Obviously what ya'll do seems to work for both of you. I for one rarely play lead, I just don't have the chops for it. When I do, I'm fairly decent at gauging my endurance. If I know I won't make it till the end of the show, I'll dole out some parts, but only if the players are up to the level required. I don't like to do it but if I'm not going to make it, or I want to throw the other players a bone, what do I have to lose? A lick here or there isn't going to ruin the performance, only make it stronger and make the other player stronger as well. But I have seen many players who could play lead all day, Kudos to them.

Solar Bell likes this.
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I get your passion about lead playing Local but I am with Chuck on this one.
    One of my favorite lead parts is "The Waltz I blew For You" .. these guys look like it's a walk in the park for them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etx9tZc82GA