Pedal to the metal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Apr 9, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess that there are some of us that need to think about survival, and others that just do the job. Maybe we are just lucky, maybe we have an approach to playing that offers more endurance. I know that my teaching involves REDUCING tension more than winding players up.

I too get paid for what I do and paid rehearsals are no different than performances. As I get paid to play the ink and other professionals have no "requirement" to add octaves that are not notated, I really don't know what Local is talking about. Most of the gigs that I play are the rehearsal and concert on the same day - very often both are recorded. No room for cheating.

I could imagine that a high school band director would have to say stuff like this. Before school concerts many a trumpeter has warmed themselves into a "wasted state".

coolerdave likes this.
  2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    And what if you did? Has that become some sort of offense or something? Has Local morphed into one of these sacred cows he claims to enjoy spearing?

I note that Solar crafted a response to the OP that had plenty of substance in few words. It could be discussed on the substance but Local replied to it by attempting to represent Solar's words as being an unreasoned, personal attack without any substance. I see no indication whatsoever in Solar's response that he was disagreeing for the sake of it, so I find Local's reaction to be entirely unfounded. Local did not refer to any previous specific occurrence that would support his interpretation either.

Nonetheless, a few questions came to my mind reading how Local devises his strategy for going through the 4 sets and have plenty of reserve at the end for a spectacular solo. That is, according to Local himself, rendered posible by "delegating" quite a bit of the lead playing to the "other strong players" playing 2nd and other parts. These guys eventually get tired and then Local, still fresh, has plenty to spare for fireworks. Is that a standard way of doing things in the pro world? The way Rowuk describes his gigs seems quite straightforward to me and closer to the glimpses I caught, as a spectator, of the pro world.

I understand that the strategy may well be beneficial to the ensemble's performance but, how much credit do these guys get exactly? When Local has a really good day and carries on a good solo, made possible by somewhat saving his chops until that point, there has to be a favorable crowd response. Does local have the 2nd/3rd book guys stand up and salute too? Does he tell the audience what their names are? Does he tell that this solo was made possible in part by those guys' work? It seems they would deserved to be mentioned. Or is it reward enough to play the delegated bits?

I also find this part a little puzzling: "Last mans standing" as it comes immediately after "I delegated near half the lead charts to our strong second player." I understand that the strategy may be beneficial to the ensemble's performance. However, I can't help to wonder how much bragging right is left to be last standing after delegating half of your hard work to another guy through 3/4 of the performance. If I work the fractions, it comes to 5/8 of the bragging rights, which is just over one half. I guess bragging rights are rounded up for lead players...

coolerdave likes this.
  3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    AS the OP stated" by the end even the cat on third trumpet couldn't play a note that you could hear". I've never played in a pro band where this was the case. All the players have the chops to play the gig and then some. If you are worried about making it through the gig, then you wouldn't be ask to play. Switching parts is done but on a fair basis. Example: in one big band I've play with, the Ist and 4th trumpets split the lead book equally

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I have spent the better part of a year fixing my playing to increase my endurance, it has increased exponentially yet I still can't play lead for more than two hours. I am by no means a lead player but sometimes duty calls, and if I have to step in, I get the job done, regardless of how. Now, if I was just a plain Jane lead player and advertised myself as such, I wouldn't be doing it like I just explained. I know it may be considered unprofessional but whenever I get the call to ask me to play lead book I always say "I am not a lead player. But I will play lead if need by" however I do try to work it out where I don't.

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    These bragging rights are so childish to me. I played with a wonderful lead player last night who passed parts. Everyweek I play with another who doesn't. Neither do any bragging about getting through the evening. Neither play very loud, just brilliant, and brilliantly. Sure enough, both have the goods to get through the prescribed sets.

I don't even know why I'm responding, this is so silly. It's like high school chest thumping, which never made anyone a better player. As for endurance, I've been experimenting with a novel idea... concentrating on projection and not athletics. It's working.

ed

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I think you hit the nail on the head

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I see benefits from both methods (to practice softly and gently --- to PLAY the notes) -- and THEN I also to "give it to the instrument" and blow --- or as Local usually says ---"to tongue and blow" can cure a multitude of problems with the horn and sound ----- and though that is paraphrased a bit --- Local has a lot of truth in what he says ---- IMHO (which accounts for whatever people perceive that to be)

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    My concern is not with the passing of parts, there are many good reasons to do this, but with the 3rd trumpet who sounds like blew his chops out. That is not good for someone's chops. Over time can lead to some damage.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I do wonder how the poor audience feels during that last set ..... "waiter, check please"

10. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Kudos...I don't do many paying gigs, per say, but not the way I do things, either.

But I have played and observed many situations where the Lead and 4th do split the screamer parts.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012