Pedal to the metal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    You can scream too loud? Na, There no such thing as screaming too loud!!!!! :shock::dontknow::D

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Since when does a REAL lead player have something to prove? Wayne Bergeron is never too loud - or passing parts around. Liesl Whitaker either. Same goes for Derek Watkins, Iron Mike Bogart, Mic Gilette, Mike Vax, Greg Adams or any of the other killer lead players. They all have something in common - they get the job done and are very pleasant and reasonable about all things music.

My understanding of great music does not allow egos of those performing to be greater than the COMMON goal. In high school the band teacher often has to take what they get, that means there can be years where there is no good lead player - or not enough section for the lead player.

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Some of what you say may be applicable to certain kinds of jazz, studio recording and and probably all classical music. However it is far less true in typical live pop concert music. Almost at the point where i kind of wonder if Rowuk has ever played dance gigs on a regular basis. Excitement is what the audience comes out for.

And in R & B or rock gigs type work the statement (if applied as Rowuk says it) Is completely ridiculous.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Local,

so you don't lose any sleep about this, yes, I perfom live commercially. This includes dance gigs (german masters and world championships) as well R&B, latin and big band jazz. We always have microphones (mine is a Neumann TLM 103 large diaphragm condenser) and almost always a reasonable sound engineer. Even IF I were too loud, the house sound is created by the engineer and would "fix" that.

I play mostly lead but get opportunities for the ride book on occasion. I always make a point of getting a section sound that the engineer doesn't have to mess with. My experience is that players that are testosterone instead of brain driven are liabilities. The only excitement that they create is in their own heads.

I have often posted that a lead player needs to have an attitude and that DOES influence how we together with the rhythm section take charge and put the razors edge on the sound. That is not the same as taking a hammer to the section and beating my part into submission.

On a side note, I do sub occasionally with one big band where I play third. In that setting I probably do more to feed the inferiority complex of the lead player who tries to be the "loudest". He too starts passing around parts. I ran a rehearsal and we got him used to leading instead of overblowing the section. No more passing around parts and even compliments from the bandleader. Sometimes common sense can work wonders! Petal to the medal?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012