Pedal Tones ... Why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AZTBNDAD, Sep 8, 2014.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Here are two tricks that worked for me. First, is the constant practicing. But, rather than counting sheep, I rested my hands on my stomach while lying on my back. My right hand was over my left so that the tips of my playing fingers could hit the knuckles of the left hand like trumpet keys. I would then proceed to work through, fingering the scales as I fell off to sleep.

Wrong thread. sorry. it won't let me delete.

BB

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. responding to this thread. Pedal tones serve many purposes but it is not something I would introduce early. If time is limited, say under two hours, then work and learning pedal tones may be taking the place of something that is developmentally more important. I am glad that I can do them now and they serve a great purpose, but I probably should not have spent so much time on them early on in my comeback. Sound concept, rhythm and sight reading, use of air are so much more import. When the musical mind leads all the physical things that pedal tones are supposed to do will naturally follow.

BB

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I use them because Claude has them in Systematic Approach .... I feel like they are great for hearing a pitch and playing one where there really isn't suppose to be one ( if that makes sense)
    not sure if that answers the question but when I hear anything about pedals I think of Claude Gordon .. warm ups ... and that crazy 20 something year old kid who plays jazz using pedals all over the place.

5. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Oh my, that's very very nice.

Then again you could say, it sounds like chocolate melting a woman's breasts. mmmm

I hope that's not too much for the forum :-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmmm... that can be a bit of a sticky thing to say... but it does leave a mental impression of softness of texture, which is a goal to strive for in using pedal tones.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My goal today is to strive for a bag of chocolate bars.... Thanks Msen!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Getting here late but, lip flexibility and playing without tension are the main reasons given for pedals. Why did they ALL lose range?? Maybe they all play with tension! Not unheard of in MB!! MB mantra ,"higher, louder,faster"!!!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually I am not always or even mostly right. I am mostly just less wrong than many. There is simply so much that we don't know.

My talent is a knack for the obvious and an unwavering devotion to a BMI of 1 when talking about trumpet. NO FAT kills...........

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria

On the face of it, this seems to make sense, particularly to those such as myself who have a less than smooth surface in the teeth department.

Also, being more turned on by a strong low register than yodelling up in the gods probably puts me in a minority here ;-)

But are there any significant drawbacks to this approach? Did I waste my $35?