pedal tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by uapiper, Dec 29, 2007.

1. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    I am on a posting roll today, I just have a quick question about pedal tones.

I can't seem to play decent sounding pedals unless I back the pressure way off of my mouthpiece, is that normal. My usable range is limited to high c above the staff and I have a lot of pressure on the mouthpiece when playing up there.

So... is greater mouthpiece pressure when playing at the top end of the scale the proper way to do this.

Thanks Mike

I use a Bach 5c megatone and Denis Wick 3

2. maine trumpeter

maine trumpeter Pianissimo User

Aug 17, 2006
    When playing pedals there is very little pressure, and when you do play in your normal range use as little pressure as you can. Practice soft tones PP, PPP, PPPP, this will help. It will set you back a bit, but in the long run it will help your range and endurance.
    Brian

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is a certain amount of "knack" involved in playing pedal tones, and some great players (like Phil Smith) can't play them. Less pressure and a dropped jaw help, and it has been my experience that some mouthpieces are friendlier than others for the pedal tones (it has not much to do with depth or diameter).

4. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    Hi,

You might want to check out Clint "Pops" McLaughlins site. He has some interesting comments about the use of pedal tones. Best of luck.
    chad

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mike,
    there is no single "one thing" that will fix your playing. Pressure works up to a point and that is why many players use it! Playing with less pressure requires more brain and less brawn. A good teacher will get a routine lined up to get you playing SMARTER. The rest is just paying your dues.

a quick checklist of necessities:
    good relaxed breathing
    proper posture and body use
    a trumpet (in good condition) and mouthpiece suitable for your type of playing
    enough practice time to build and maintain your desired level of playing
    the drive to go that extra mile!!!!!!

MJ likes this.
  6. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    Think sylabals. ah for lower and e for upper. There is no such thing as using no pressure. however, it is best to learn how to play with as little pressure as you can. learning to use your air with your lower and upper abdominal muscles will ease your pressure. and think of your air as a nozzle. the lower you go open the nozzle and let the air out, the higher you go close the nozzle and increase your velocity of air and your upper register is there. It's all about control. That's just my advice. hope this helps.

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

When I had a teacher he was big on my doing pedal tones to learn to relax the lips..... seemed I was having trouble going higher so he worked on lower..... I remember very little air pressure, very little lip on mouthpiece pressure, and it helped to pooch out my stomach and make a big "air space" in there.

8. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    check out Claude Gordon's method for the exercises and clear explanation as to purpose, don't get discouraged the goal is to extend range both ways over time. play the regular note as reference for you pedals. Also try to hear what they sound like . Check out Arturo on recent youtube clips he plays them a few times in these clips

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

There's some great stuff on youTube too, now I know why pedals on the trumpet don't sound so good, hard for a beginner (like me) to keep in tune.

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    he can't :dontknow: