pedal tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by derekkress, Jan 25, 2008.

1. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Go to his site Official Home Page for Claude Gordon Music Ent. there are soudbytes there.With your research you will find more stuff via youtube and Trumpet And Brass Lessons Done Over Live Video Chat By Jeff Purtle, Authority On The Claude Gordon Method Of Brass Playing and Claude Gordon (lots of great cornet greats here) He was the man for many years at CBS and I believe NBC radio plus all his other accomplishments and his relationship with Herbert L. Clarke . I can go on and on and on but for me he has a special place in my heart since my studies as a trumpet player and the most progress I ever made was through his method.

2. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    I just watched that vid and he does talk about and demonstrate the lower/double pedal C, just not anything much below that. I guess I'd agree he doesn't explain how it feels to pop out those low notes.

3. derekkress

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I'll do my best here!First of all if you don't have his method book get it and read/hear everything you can about this man.If possible study with someone who has used his method thoroughly.There are things he repeats constantly. Chest up, blow to the end and past that point to build the muscles that compress all that air, always "feel" the notes and never go past the "feel" especially in the high register.Tongue levels(aah/eh)As for the range going down, its progressive.If you check out his method book you'll see what I mean. Systematic Approach to Daily Practice, it is a book on how to practice."By developing strength and muscle coordination along with wind control the student will play naturally and easily as his fears disappear" Read the preface and instructions over and over.Eventually we get it!The exercises will take you there over time.Refer to the octave above and "feel" flat when playing the pedal. With time you will center those pedals with more and more of your chops in the mouthpiece like the regular range. Of course the lower you go the more you need to "flap" those chops.Eventually you will be able to synchronize the entire range.In the video he never says it will take weeks or months but a year, 2, 3?? I studied with one of his former students and practiced the entire routine for about 4 years.By the way you do everything! Starting the day with the exercises going down pedals(on average 30min-Min), 15-Min rest followed by 2nd part range going up(on average 20-Min) followed by at least an hour rest.These exercises are calisthenics for the trumpet you must rest.Followed by simple flexibility to get you warmed up a bit. By lesson four you start Clarke studies with proper fingerings.(Each week is different).By lesson ten you are probably working on Clarke's seventh study.By lesson 13 all of the above(more Clarke's) plus lip flex re Walter Smith,lesson 24 all of the above and he tags on Saint Jacombe.There are 52 lessons(doesn't mean weeks!!!)Depending on your progress studies are added, repertoire, etc.... Once I was fully into the routine by the 6-7month I was easily shedding 5-6 hours on the horn.Don't be discouraged! I remember those early mornings in the practice room with a lot of the other players thinking we were crazy(me and Jocelyn Couture) playing as low as possible then as high as possible plus all the rest!I never buzzed.My warm-up started with the first study period!It was after this jazz cat at McGill in 91 won the Mahler spot for the backstage fanfare over the classical cats who were practicing in fear all the time, that people took notice of the results.I remember Karen Donnelly(principal trumpet National Symphony) freaking out at all the endurance I had on a salsa gig I did with her to the wee hours in the morning 3am and then showing up at wind band the next morning feeling even better than the night before.Why? You develop no fear and nothing but confidence.It's how to practice, what to practice and when to practice all the while thinking when you practice! Sound simple it is! There is no holy grail, just hard smart hard work!There are other sound approaches out there and amazing teachers all of whom I respect dearly, but they do all have one thing in common, the How, What, When and Think of playing the trumpet.Oh ya don't think I was coming down on my classical friends.It was just an empowering time when everything came together.It felt good to feel good.And not too far down the hall in the same practice studios was Jens Lindemann practicing similar approaches a la James Thompson!A last word of advice watch the video more than once! He does explain how to pop out the pedals. Repetition=Revelation. I believe that's what Claude was all about for me!

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I just did some practicing with the clarke studies book. Not at piano yet as he instructed, but a nice mf, maybe even f volume. Breathing as he mentions, chest out, and to the end until you start shaking. It feels amazing. I still dont have much range past an A right now, but my breathing feels amazing.

5. derekkress

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I'm assuming you are pushing to the end on the first part only.Clarke studies are to be practiced as the third part.Also use the metronome diligently to mark progress and don't waste time on the easy ones.If you practice each lesson more or less for a week to 2 weeks each following the very clear instructions, you will see and feel some amazing progress within a few months.I never thought I could do those études in one breath, but by the 9 month I was able to and even succeeded to do them twice! I had a good range when I was in university up to double G but with the Gordon Approach I was beyond that but most importantly I had the endurance to play up there for many long sets accurately and with assurance! Work hard and if you need clearer advice don't hesitate I'll help you along!Good Luck!

6. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Yeah I know. I just went through them slowly yesterday to get the exercieses down. Today is game time. Starting nice and slow with the met. Its kind of exciting actually... Today is the day I start becoming a better player.

7. derekkress

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I'm heading out now, but you are using Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Playing to guide you along? VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

8. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    ...no :( I dont have it.

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Wow I just watched all the videos (there are 12 of them) and what can I say? That's probably more commonsense stuff than I'd learn in a year with a teacher.

10. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Yeah, I didn't realize that half of the stuff that happened when I played was common sense until i saw those movies.