Pedal Tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djserrant, Dec 21, 2008.

1. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    What exactly are they? Should I incorporate it in my daily routine?

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Pedal tones are the tones below low F#(123), that are not really considered notes. I play pedal tones with the Zorn-Stamp pedal tones and range studies every day as part of a warm-up. By playing pedal tones(they don't sound pretty:-)), your range and tone should benefit. Also, look into James Thompson's "Buzzing Book", I believe that there may be some pedal tone excercises in there. Or, simply start on a low C, and descend chromatically as low as you can go, using standard fingerings for the octave above, or try and hit a low note, say Eb, and then attempt an 8vb jump to the pedal Eb, try this with F, and all the other notes.

I apologize for the rambling:cool:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Google is your best friend. There are as many trumpet players without pedal tones, maybe even more. They are not a part of what I teach. But then again, there is an awful lot of esoterica flying around the trumpet world that I do not teach!

Some say that it can help tighten up the corners. If you don't know what that is, then you need a teacher that can ONE on ONE get you in tune with what you are supposed to be doing. You should not add anything to routine without knowing how it applies to the rest of what you have earned.

If you are PRACTICING more than 90 minutes a day, the question may be worth asking. If not, then you have more than enough ahead of you!

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I agree with Robin. Don't bother adding pedal tones unless you have a teacher to help you. They can be benificial, but only if played properly. The harderst thing about pedal tones, IMHO, is playing them in tune... and you have to have pretty strong corners to do so.... other wise you are just flapping your lips around. If you have a teacher, ask him/her about it! Have fun.

5. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    At camp, Turcotte told us to play arpeggios down into the pedal tones. Starting with an F arpeggio into the F below the F# (123), then moving onto E, Eb, D, etc. It helps you keep them in tune.

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I use them to warm down too. I do lip slurs, then pedal the note with the same fingering.

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Pedal tones should only be practiced on a mature developed embouchure. When you have the "Walter Piston" trumpet range of bottom F" to top C above the stave reasonably secure, then start working on pedal tones.
    However a good preparation for pedal tones and sound development in the mean time is note bending. Play a G on the stave for two slow beats and using only your embouchure (no valves) and a little more air bend the note down to an F#. Hold that for a couple of beats, then bend back up to the G. When you become competent with this try bending down to the F, then the E, the Eb, and if you develop superb control the D. I have never heard anyone bending down to a Db, but i bet it can be done. This exercise should only be a very small part of your routine.

8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Yeah, we have fun bending when we tune for marching band.
    I can only bend a half step, though

9. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I agree with Rowuk, your best advice will come from a teacher who knows how you play and what to have you do to enhance your ability.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I agree with those recommending that you wait. When you have a solid grasp on the fundamentals and have allowed your embochure to mature, then add them.