Pedal Tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Do any of you practice them ? I do them warming up and warming down. I know there supposed to help your upper range some how, but I like doing them. So, How low is low ????? I touched on a double pedal E flat tonight and it took me 2 years to get down there (a new note)for me. My goal is double pedal "C". Anyone else ?? Normally I always have a Double pedal F, but I can get lower AFTER my exercises, (The chops are shot then and Loose : - ) )

Hoghorn

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    So, is the pedal f the f below middle C?

3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Well Jason, lets start at the "C" below the staff, or low C, I go to the "C" an octave below low "C", then progress down to the E flat below pedal C. I think it's Double pedal E flat. Someone correct me if I'm incorrect here !

Hoghorn

4. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    WOW. I wouldn't even know they what the fingering patterns are for anything below F# below middle C (low C)

5. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Well, all horns slot different. "THEY" say ( I don't know who "They" are) that you should be able to finger just like in the staff. But honestly I find that particular to different horns. I finger F to pedal C the same as in the staff, but actually the F 1st valve really sucks and I have to use the chops to slot it !!! You should try it !!! Sit in a chair and "RELAX" and try to get to pedal "C". I can talk my students down to it, so you should be able to also !!! Good luck buddy !!!!!

Hoghorn

6. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Ps, it sounds really bad when you first start doing it, don't worry about that, it will come with practice, like everything else !! : - )

Hoghorn

7. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    will do, and I will find you and keep you updated

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The Clyde Hunt publication (and CD) 'Sail the Seven C's' investigates, demonstrates, and develops pedal tones among lots of other 'stuff' - and the booklet has fingerings if you find that necessary.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't practice them and only did for 6 months or so with no improvement in my playing that could be attributed to the addition. I flap a bit to get blood flowing in the lips. My students get corner strength with slurs in the "normal" range.

I am not talking down the principle, it has just never helped my playing. Good to great is possible without. Make sure that important things are not being cut short by "nice to haves".

10. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I can play them but for me it is just like Rowuk said: they do not help me in any way. So I do simply not spend time on doing them.
    Most of my friends do them though and say that for them it´s useful. All my teachers have done them also.