Pedal Tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Opps sorry, see below....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I was given Arturos pedal tone warm-up exercises a few years ago, so I started trying them and ended up incorporating them in with practice. I like doing them and so I set a goal with them of a Dbl pedal C. I don't spend much time on them, maybe 10 minutes, and move on. I can think of maybe 2 times where I used them on stage and it was while soloing, it's mostly just part of my warm-ups and warm-downs.

Hoghorn

simonstl likes this.
  3. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I may be crazy, but I like practicing pedal tones just because they're fun - the horn sounds different, even feels different in my hands and on my lips. Kind of teaches me not to take things for granted, I guess.

Or maybe I should take up valve trombone, euphonium, or tuba...

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I feel the same way Simon, I like doing them too.
    Funny about the trombone thing, I was warming up for a rehearsal one day and the music prof. looked in and said, are you trying to sound like a trombone ? I asked him well do I, he laughed and said yes you do !!

Hoghorn

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Myself I like doing them. I use them to loosen things up during my daily routine. i've found that from pedal C down to pedal F# there is some slotting. From pedal F# down to double pedal C there really isn't any slotting. I think this is the bottom fundamental notes on a trumpet are pedal C to pedal F#. below that you're really just lipping things down.

Hoghorn, I would say you are right. It is a double pedal Eb. I call anything below pedal F# double pedals. Why has it taken you so long to get that low?

All this pedaling has made me thirsty!:-P

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  6. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Thanks Bob,

Why has it taken so long to get that low.....prolly cause I don't spend much time at all on them, it's just part of a warm-up then it's on to technical studies for me.

Hoghorn

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Hoghorn, do you play on a regular basis? It shouldn't take that long to get down there. How do you do them?

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Yes Bob, I play every day and played over 120 shows this last year. It's just not something I work hard at. Additionally it's not that important for me to get to the Dbl Ped C, when it happens it happens is how I think about it, half the fun is getting there !!

Hoghorn

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    All this reminds me of a girl I once knew - "Her lips were like petals - bicycle petals, her teeth were like stars - they come out at night." :-(

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    My teacher had me do them...I can, but don't think they did anything.
    Just my opinion, :dontknow:
    -Andrew