Pedal Tones?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, Apr 5, 2012.

1. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    How far are the pedal tones below the C below the staff? I'm having trouble pinpointing the harmonic and I'm not sure if it's problem of skill or just not knowing where to slot the notes! :D

2. dvs cycles

dvs cycles Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2011
    SoCal
    In my re-learning process I went out and got some fingering charts. Most only go as low as F# below the staff. One however goes all the way down to double C below.
    It shows pedal tones as F and below.
    I can do the F# but there is nothing I try that let's me go lower than that.

3. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
  4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Yeah, lowest I can go in any controlled sequential transgression is to F#. I can go lower but I have to readjust my enboucher to do so. I've heard Arturo Sandoval play way down there in such a beautiful sweet tone. I couldn't believe that the trumpet could sound like that being a soprano instrument. I need to look up that song again on youtube.

5. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Arturo Sandoval is the Lance Armstrong of the trumpet world, a straight up freak of nature (and I mean that in the most complimentary way!) There is a youtube video of Charlie Porter doing pedals tones, and he changes his embouchure slightly just as I have to do. I think he's right, though, the path to the upper register is through the lower register!

6. dvs cycles

Nov 29, 2011
    SoCal
    What exactly do you change to get lower than F#. Do I need a Tuba mouthpiece?:D

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    an extra liter of air in your lungs

8. dvs cycles

Nov 29, 2011
    SoCal
    As cyclist that races I have the biggest size of lungs that will fit in my 6 foot body. :lol:
    Guess I'm not using it right as far as the trumpet goes.:oops:

9. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Yeah, you do expel air pretty quick on pedal tones. My triggers help me pin to the notes, as well, whether that is the correct way or not that's what I do.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay... just to be clear here... are you guys using trumpets or flugelhorns to hit these pedal tones?