Pedal Tones?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, Apr 5, 2012.

1. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Trumpets. :-)

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Every once in awhile someone will write "you can't hit a double high C if you can't play a pedal C" .... and then they get a bunch of "Likes" .... so that has to mean something .... and since I can't hit the double C and my pedal C is usually flat or something that sounds not so solid I have to interpret it.
    My gut is that the embrouchure has less movement across the registers and the aperture does not spread to hit the lower notes. Like watching the pros play and it seems effortless ...
    Not to hijack your thread but I feel like the air in the upper register is sort of a "hee" .. the middle "ha" and the pedals "ho" ... that might be relevant or not ... might be bad or good.. don't know... just where I am at in the same type of thing you are asking here.

3. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Hi all,

Check out the Thibaud method (available through Balquhidder, i think) - that has lots of great stuff on pedals and double pedals, and working through his method has done wonders for my efficiency.

Cheers,
    Adrian

4. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Don't disagree with you, and that makes sense to me, but from my own comeback experience, when I first picked the horn back up I could barely play a middle C. After a week or so of practice (including practicing my pedal tones) I noticed as my ability to play and pinpoint the low register increased, so did my range in the upper register. Of course, it could always be I was limbering up and building strength and stamina but it feels to me that even if pedal tones don't help, they certainly don't hinder (me, anyway).

5. Johnny B.

Johnny B. New Friend

Jun 25, 2012
  6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    To play pedal tones correctly you must keep the same embouchure with out making adjustments.When done correctly you can feel it in your corners.I'm not saying you have to be able to play pedals to develop an upper register,but if do practice pedals incorrectly you won't get the full benefits that pedal can give you.
    Some,including myself like using pedal tones in their warm ups,others think it harms their playing.Only you can decide if they're right for you.
    Like the upper register the pedal register takes time and practice to develop.I use the same fingerings for pedals as an octave higher.Don't pull out slides or triggers,use your lip to get the pitch.The goal isn't so much to get the notes in tune any way you can,but to get the notes in tune using your embouchure muscles.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You might have better results if you drop your jaw as you descend below the F#.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you make adjustments in jaw or lip settings you won't get the full benefit of the pedals. It won't necessarily hurt your playing,but it won't help it much either. I've seen a lot of players play pedal tones incorrectly.It doesn't take a lot of movement,just relaxing of the embouchure.

When done correctly they help endurance and range.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    No, don't drop the jaw. To play the pedals from low F3 down to the low C3 below low C you lip the pitch down. One thing is that it's easy to blow with too much force down there and this will impede your ability to play these pedals. Also this range are not real notes so there is no slotting you can feel. You need to start out blowing a warm, slow air cloumn. Relaxing the kips in the center. It can take a while to get this going so a systematic approach helps. also knowing what to expect as you learn this skill.

The pedals below the first pedal C are real notes from pedal C down to Pedal F#. They are the fundamental pitch of the harmonic series of each valve combination on the trumpet. Below that you are lipping the pedals flat. From pedal C to pedal F3 there is an upper slot but not a lower slot. At first the low C and below may be a whole step or more flat. this is normal. It can take a long time to get it up to pitch. Why? because even though th epedals feel easy, no mpc pressure, very little feeling of compression in the air stream, it does require the development of some strength before they will be in tune.

here's the key, keep the same set as you do for your normal register. You should be able to play from a pedal C up to low C and above just like you would playing from low C to an upper note. What you learn to do is play with a relaxed air stream, relaxed mpc pressure and a relaxed center of the lips. Don't loosen/drop the whole embouchure.

While doing pedals correctly benefits a lot of players and some players don't like them or do them, but play realy well. it is possble to do them wrong. At best you will receive no benefits. At worst you can mess your embouchure up. OH and don't roll your lips out to play the pedals. If you have questions or problems consult a knowledgable teacher. Either in person or via Skype.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    It means that a lot of trumpet students have been taught by Maggio and Gordon followers that pedals and altissimo proficiency are strongly correlated.

I disagree. Having a strong, properly developed embouchure is what enables altissimo playing.
    You don't need to use pedals to achieve that at all and think players who spend time learning pedals are just wasting time and effort
    that could be spent on practicing real useful skills.

my 2c - let the stones be cast. ;-)

Greg