Pedal Tones?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, Apr 5, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Lotta players can play altissimo musically well, not many at all can play pedals musically well. Arturo is one of the best at it. It's funny (to me) to look at a tuba score and see 8vb and only the best can play down there. My horns "slot" at the pedal G below pedal F# down to great C.

2. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    No Freak!! He has invested alot of his lifes time in acheiving Pedals as well as High notes..........

3. Shofarguy

Shofarguy Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2009
    East of Phoenix Arizona
    The notes between low F# and G, the octave below do not naturally sound. I find that I can get something like notes if I scale down from F# to about D or C#, but the C is something else altogether. Actually, that C has to be approached in a totally different way, but if one learns to do it and carries over that embouchure to the entire range, wonderful things happen!

The actual harmonics down there are the G (1-1/4 octave below our low C) and the C (2 octaves below our low C).

The mindset I learned doesn't have to do with air (yes, there is a lot of air flowing out, especially at first) but rather keeping the lips in an "oo" shape and relaxing the facial muscles until the correct embouchure is discovered. One learns to use very little pressure on the lips. The air flows out and is not forcibly pushed.

Lastly, that elusive C wants to sound at around Bb at first, but one can eventually find a kind of shelf, as it were, where the pitch is correct. That is the place you want to find and develop into near-usable tone quality. Magic happens next!

There's an excellent video on YouTube, but I don't remember who does it.

Brian

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    On my flugel, the 2nd G below low C (C3?) is natural and so are all the notes down to C1! Sometimes I'll play what I can play of the 'Bone parts that the flugel gives me. The guys love it.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If I wanted pedal tones, it would be much easier with bass trumpet, trombone, or euphonium. No, I don't have a bass trumpet, so one of the others will have to do. Actually, the pedal tones of F#, G, (G#) Ab and A are part of the bass (F) clef. So too, are any below these.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. Hornman1

Hornman1 Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2009
    Mississippi coast
    Hi. Relax your embouchure and lips, use hardly any pressure and let the lips vibrate inside the cup. It took me a while to get it. Tilting the horn up somewhat helps too and i got that from GRawlin on youtube. lots of air in lungs and just imagine the deep tone before you play it. Theres a few vids on youtube about pedals and there seems to be different octaves. For me the one right under F# is the hardest and i have a tendency to drop straight to the lower ones. Claude Gordon was big on pedals and his book Systematic Approach to Daily Practice goes from loww pedals to 5 notes above the staff from page 5 on! lol Good ole Claude lol

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    "Pedal Tones are an integral part of your total development. But you must achieve them gradually and approach them correctly. If not, you are better off not to play them at all.
    "While I play to third pedal C, for the purpose of development it is not necessary to go any lower than second pedal C (two octaves below low C) because nothing further develops from this point down."
    Bill Knevitt - 100% Claude Gordon
    How To Develop Your Range To Third Pedal C On Trumpet?
    Listen to Bill's explanation at: http://www.latorremusic.com -- and "Recordings", find How To Develop Your Range To Third Pedal C mp3 download: $3.00

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. chierholzer

chierholzer New Friend

May 31, 2012
    Chicago
    After I started working on pedal tones this year, my higher register is much stronger and more reliable. There are a few pedal exercises in the Hession Sessions book. He has you doing pedals after a few high note exercises. Great book! And I do them on my Wick 4E.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Get the Claude Gordon "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice" and you will have all the pedal tones you will ever need.

10. Hornman1

Hornman1 Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2009
    Mississippi coast
    I have this book and wow he sure did expect alot lol notes go to 5 above the staff on page 3! lol Pedals basically just vibrate your lips and get the blood flowing to them and teaches you to relax. Hi notes can be hit a lot easier the same way. Sounds counter intuiative but less pressure and what i call the fish or kiss embouchure with lips toward the inside of the cup takes you right on up there. Also a Legends mouthpiece makes it sooo much easier!