pelase help my!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tocamusica, Oct 8, 2007.

1. tocamusica

tocamusica New Friend

Oct 8, 2007
    portugal
    hello!!!
    im from portugal and i would like to study out of my country.
    where do you recomend?
    i think school in london manchester holand germany

i wait you suggests...

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    The biggest issue when choosing a music college is the available funds. How much are you ready to spend on? Then the most important is to choose a good teacher who you get along with well and can make you achieve your goals.
    What do you intend to do after finishing college? Orchestra job? Solo carreer? Chamber music (quintet, quartet etc)?

If you want to go for orchestra job you will need too things in college.
    1. A teacher who has proved himself successful in placing his students in orchestra. Some suggestions: The Royal Academy of Music, the Royal College of Music in London and the Royal Northern College of Music are great places for that. You will find there teachers like James Watson, Greig Murray, John Miller etc who can make you succeed in the orchestra field. I can think also of the Tiroler Landeskonservatorium in Innsbruck (Austria) where is teaching Erich Rinner. Another teacher I would recommend is my former teacher from the Conservatoire de Fribourg (Switzerland) who is teaching at Geneva conservatory as well.
    I hope that Rowuk would be able to give you some good suggestions for Germany.
    2. You need a school who has developed good and extensive orchestra performance programs and has at least one college orchestra. All of the British college I mentioned offer that. I think that the Tiroler landeskonservatorium do offer such experiences but I am not really sure.

If you want to go for a solo or chamber music career, that is entirely another story. Then you need just to find a suitable teacher. Few possible pathways there. You can get yourself heard by winning an international competition, publishing a CD or just do lots of recitals, hoping that somebody will notice you. Or another pathway is do get an orchestra principal chair and work your solo career up from there till you are able to live from solo work only or do the both in same time. There is both in the trumpeter world.
    Good luck!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tocamusica,
    what type of playing do you want to do? Jazz, classical, solo? I see 4 Bb trumpets in your avatar.

4. tocamusica

tocamusica New Friend

Oct 8, 2007
    portugal
    i would like to do classical music but i always like lern new types and suggestions

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007