Pelican cases for under the plane

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought I would post this as an FYI and also if anyone else can relate their experiences with these cases. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Pelican 1560 case. With current events unfolding as they are, the hassle just isn't worth it anymore. :( This one will supposedly hold four trumpets and costs $150 with the pick and pluck foam. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on these cases. I am pretty sure Manny uses one for his Monettes when traveling, but he isn't around to ask right now.

PS I have also ordered the lock for it. It is a type of lock that the TSA can open and relock after their security check. The lock changes color when this happens so the owner is aware that the case was opened.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Alex- They are well respected among photographers. (A hobby of mine). Tough cases.

I saw someone with one at ITG. He was talking and seemed to like it's toughness.

3. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Pelican

Alex-

These cases are great. I used a 1600 (I think) for trumpet/flugelhorn. Made it back and forth from Honolulu to Singapore without a hitch. One suggestion: Keep monitoring the condition of the foam. After a few years, the foam will start to deteriorate and either flake or get gummy. It helps to put your horns in some fabric bags. Also, whenever possible, leave the case open to air out. The foam will absorb the moisture from the horns, and that causes the foam problem over time. The other thing you can do is to line the case with some material, like crushed velvet.

That's a great price your getting from that site.

Garry

4. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I use them at work for very sensitive electronics and mechanical assemblies. They've been a Godsend~
    Highly recommended.

gregc

note: whenever TSI opens our bags for investigation, they always leave a note behind so we know they were there.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you for the tips Garry. They are very helpful to know indeed.

I am pleased with the price I found on this web site www.pelican-case.com I would suggest to anyone looking for various size cases to go to www.pelican.com and find what model/size you want. Then Google the model number of the case to find the best prices. Thanks to you and Glenn, I am feeling a bit more at ease. :eek:

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the reassurance Greg. I have a stack of those TSI notes from all of my travels. What I like about the lock is that once it passes through TSA, you can tell if it has been tampered with in any way beyond that point. At Hartsfield, we can watch TSA go through our luggage if we want to relock it. That is exactly what I plan to do with my horns. ;)

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Manny is heading over here to do the proms and the Edinburgh festival. I wonder if he has realised his horns will need to be checked in?

Maybe he will read this while he is away.

8. mc01190

mc01190 New Friend

Jul 22, 2005
    Alex:

I use the 1560 and highly reccomend it. the pick & pluck is a breeze to customize and the horns stay secure. Hope this helps

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How many horns can you get in the 1560 and would it be "convertable" for like 3 trumpets and then trumpet/flugel?

I've got some flying in my future and was thinking the same thing as Alex.
    -T

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Manny is on a family vacation right now and will be back soon. The MO have a week of rehearsals and then they are off to the EU for their tour. I am sure things will be well in order by the time that happens. I am also flying into London at the end of the month. I really hope things have chilled a bit by then. NO carry on for a transatlantic flight is indeed a brand of torture. No tunes, computer, or refreshing drinks and toiletries. :mad:

Thank you very much MC for your review of the case. I feel much better knowing that several of you recommend it.

Hey Trent, I would think that customizing would be easy. Buy an extra set of foam and then you can have your flugel set up ready when it is time to go.