Pelican cases for under the plane

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Alex,

I have good and bad news. I have the 1560 and it is a wonderful case. I can fit three Bb trumpets (Bach and Lawler) in there with no problems. However, I just bought that Eclipse Medium Classic and it will not fit in the case. It is too long by around a half inch. The Eclipse C trumpet may fit if it is shorter, but I wouldn't plan on the Bbs fitting if they are the same general dimensions as my Medium Classic.

The only way I can see my Eclipse fitting in my case would be diagonally by itself, which would be a huge case for only one horn.

If you can make it work the case is bombproof and a great value.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the heads up Eric. My C should fit no problem as it is the same length as my Yamaha. Of course my Eflat and piccolo will be fine. I am going to find out if the current generation of Eclipse Bflats are the same length as yours or not. Man, I sure hope not. :confused:

OK. An Eclipse Bflat is 19 1/8". What does yours measure Eric?
    The inside dimensions of the case I ordered are 20-3/8" x 15-7/16" x 9" (51.79 cm x 39.17 cm x 22.86 cm). How long ago did you order yours? Are the dimensions the same for you Eric?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  3. Auggy62

Auggy62 New Friend

Mar 23, 2006
    New Brunswick,Canada
    HI :)
    I would suggest taking a look see at the Armour cases over at rawbrass.com,they look to be verywell put together.Geesh if they with stand a car without hurting my horns the sure can withstand what the airlines put them threw.

Just my .02

AUGGY

4. Alex_In_CA

Alex_In_CA New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    Aha something I know about. Pelicans are the best, you made a good choice. The pick and pluck foam blows though, use it until you can get something better.

5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Alex,

As a frequent traveller (and then some) I'll take the opposing view to those above. I'm sure this is a terrific case but remember that anything put in the cargo hold underneath a plane can (and eventually will) end up in Singapore or Schenectady . . . while you're flying to San Francisco.

I simply won't let my horns disappear through a hole in the wall.

Off to moult now,
    EC

6. mc01190

mc01190 New Friend

Jul 22, 2005
    trent:

i have configurations for:
    1 Bb trumpet , 1 flugel & mutes
    2 larger horns (like Bb & C trumpet + mutes
    2 larger horns + smaller horn (like D or Pic)

best regards,

-Dave Clough

7. ellestad

ellestad New Friend

May 18, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Pelican Cases

Hi Alex -

I have used Pelican cases for high end photographic gear for over two decades with no problems (even in the clutches of the baggage gorilla). You might look into the "padded inserts" or "padded baskets" or whatever Pelican calls them. They replace the Pick-and-Pluck foam with a nylon covered high density foam liner that is well appointed with velcro patches. The insert includes a set of nylon covered padded dividers of various sizes that can be positioned in various configurations. It could be suitable. Also, it wouldn't be that hard to custom fit the interior of a Pelican case.

Another approach to this problem might be to look into a "Gig Bag" case. There is a case maker in Texas making ATA cases (Anvil style) that has advertised this product. It is basically an ATA shell with only basic wall padding, sized to snugly hold your existing gig bag (bags?). This provides the the ATA rated armour for the baggage handlers but lets you leave the shin-busting armour in the hotel room while your are doing your local traveling with just your gig bags. When I checked with them about this product they said that they will build to your dimensional requirements and can include wheels and collapsible handle. This will cost more than the Pelican, though, but it will be ATA certified (insurance implications). I believe that I saw that the Pelican 1600 is now ATA certified. I think that you can locate this product fairly easily with a Google search - I can't find where I stored the link. Oh, yeah, this outfit makes a lot of cases for exotic shotguns and rifles. Probably almost any ATA case builder would make a case like this for you and to your dimensions. I have had several custom ATA cases made over the years. Several have over twenty years of airline pounding on them and they are still serviceable.

One other thing about these "serious looking" cases. We (the media production community) learned years ago that these cases riding on luggage carousels are shouting "I have something valuable inside!". It is good to be Johnny-on-the-spot to grab your bag just as it comes in. There was a company some years back (they may still exist) that made a product called "Ugly Covers" for the rather snazzy looking but not-so-tough Haliburton Cases to help with this very problem - they were drab canvas zip-on covers. A fellow that I worked with for many years used a Pelican 1600 to transport his Hasselblad outfit through the baggage handlind gauntlet successfully for many years. He took a can of flat-black primer to it and gave it kind of a half a paint job. It works. It looks like it must contain rusty hammers. I like my bags looking a little nicer than that, though.

Let us know what you come up with.

Regards,

Tim Ellestad

8. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    "ugly bags"

Alex-

Along the line of what Tim mentioned with the "ugly bags", a student of mine kept the shipping box the pelican case came in. He cut a whole for the case handle to stick through and would check it in It looked "less expesive" that the spankingly new camera case, especially with some old duct and masking tape over the size. People probably thought it was just a box of dirty laundry.

Garry

Ed: I think Alex mentioned that (some) trans-Atlantic flights would no longer allow carry ons, so we may have no choice but to send our horns as baggage.

GC

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    This is exactly my concern. The days of holding up a plane or arguing with attendants is over. I just can't be bothered anymore. I don't think a letter or anything else is going to sway TSA right now. As much as I don't like putting my babies in the belly of a plane, I honestly don't think we will have much of a choice overseas. I am going to the UK and they are, for the moment, not allowing ANY carry on bags - period. I received warning letters from Delta today for my Toronto and UK trips. :-(

10. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Alex-

I feel for you. I hated the idea of sending my horns as baggage. I would send the flugel as baggage and use a single Walt Johnson as carryon for my trumpet. Sounds like that won't work anymore. Even though I have a Johnson trumpet/flugel case, I think the Pelican would be more protective as a checked baggage case. It's a tough decision to make. I've considered traveling with my 2nd choice flugel as it's only a minor double. But possibly travel with my 2nd choice Bb as a main instrument? I don't know......

And, didn't the American Federation of Musicians ask it's members to boycott Delta as their policy towards musical instruments was very unfriendly?

Garry