Pelican cases for under the plane

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 10, 2006.

1. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Trent,

You can buy spare blocks of foam specifically sized for any Pelican case. The foam isn't glued into the interior of the case, so you could have one block plucked out to hold three trumpets and another plucked out for a flugel and trumpet.

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Pelican

I've been using a Pelican 1650. It's great! I didn't have the patience to deal with the pick and pluck foam, so I ripped the insides out of my Walt Johnson tpt./flug. case (sorry, Walt) and it fits perfectly in the 1650, with room to spare. The only down side is that this case is just slightly smaller than my bed, and about as heavy. The wheels make it workable.

Good luck.

Tony

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Nice Tony! :lol:

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    In this month's International Musician, there is an article advising us to boycott Delta Airlines. But that was written before the latest incident. I have a feeling that even USA domestic flights will ban carryons soon. (They could care less if we are traveling with valuable and fragile instruments.) I think the days of bringing a horn case as carry-on will be soon over.

Buy what you need to keep your horns protected as checked baggage. I hate this........but what is the alternative?

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :lol: Too funny Tony!

That's the other drawback - having to schlep yet another big case around. I am only one person and have a hard enough time traveling alone with all of my luggage. Between weight and bag restrictions (especially on international flights), I will be showing up with the clothes on my back and my trumpets...and that's it.

6. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Alex,

Ok, I finally got things measured up for you. :D My Eclipse Bb is also 19 1/8" long, and my 1560 case is the same dimensions as you listed.

Here is the deal with the 1560 case. The Pick and Pluck foam comes standard with 1" of solid foam around the inside walls, and then Pick and Pluck throughout the rest of it. So in effect you lose two inches of internal length. If I place my Eclipse in there with the bell against one wall (the 1" of solid foam) the bell bow/tuning slide pushes into the other wall about 1/3", which puts the end of the mouthpiece receiver against the plastic wall of the case. Maybe I'll carve out a bit of foam on the bell end of my case, but I do like having that 1" on all sides for protection. We'll see.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Or in San Francisco... when you are headed to Paducah! (don't ask... but you should see the look on a Montreal travel agent's face when you ask to be booked through to there).

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey Alex,
    great reading your posts!
    Leave your horns home and see if Eclipse UK or Smith-Watkins would have some loaners............. (just joking-or maybe not....). If you have a razor sharp tone, they might not even let YOU on board - in any case leave also your Schilke 14A4A at home.
    It is rough here right now. Need to get to the airport 4 hours in advance for security. I postponed a business trip to London this week because of the hassle. One full working day in airport security (2x 4 hours)......
    I only travel with double cases (sometimes 2) as they fit in the overhead compartments. Checking the horns as hold baggage is always painful for me.
    A big case would be ok for the bus tours that I do though.
    Robin

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Doug Yeo the bass trombone in Boston, has an article on his website on how what he does when he has to check his trombone (which is most of the time)

www.yeodoug.com