Pencil Excercise/Mouthpiece Exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigSwingFace, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    For some people free buzzing, mouthpiece buzzing, the pencile, PETE all work wonders, for others they would be disasterous. Its very hard to generalize from ones own experience to someone elses in this context. Be pragmatic. If something works for you, do it. If it doesn't stop

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What was the question? ;-)
    Ancillary exercises are great if you don't have access to a horn. I would rather play a horn, even a hose trumpet than do the pencil exercise. I've done it before. Meh, put the pencil down and played the mpc with a B.E.R.P. on the shank. Then bought a hose for truck practice. Swizzle stick blowing is also fun when flying. "I'll take your trash now sir". "NO, I WANT MY SWIZZLE STICK BACK, I'M PRACTICING AIRFLOW FOR THE NEXT 3 HOURS "!!! ROFL

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I personally find these types of videos disingenuous. You need air flow for lip oscillation and the air has to go somewhere. The mpc is ported so he doesn't blow his ears out or have mucous flow from his nose. The sound is very pinched Imo. Without air flow there is no lip oscillation and without oscillation (buzz) there is no standing wave. No standing wave equals no sound. Put a valve in backwards and see how you sound! :-)

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I posted the video in response to Rowuk's last reply, where he was using it as a metaphor about "fast air". I have no idea whether it has any practical significance with respect to playing the trumpet or to the theme of this thread.

With that being said, I think there is a standing wave in the video. I believe that the energy from the embouchure is transferred to a membrane in the mouthpiece that oscillates, and then transfers its energy into horn. Also, in your "backward valve" example, there is no oscillating membrane that the energy can be transferred into.

(Maybe someone can clarify this?)

Mike

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thats why it's disingenuous to my thinking. The membrane that creates the standing wave in my horns are my lips. There was a poster awhile ago that watched a video and triumphantly declared "You don't have to buzz to play trumpet". Nothing is further from the truth. If the is no oscillation, no standing wave is created. One can create such a large aperture so that there is no oscillation (at least I can) and just air going through the horn. The gentleman calls it the "no airflow mpc". Air does flow, just not down the shank.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the clarification.

Mike

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There is a standing wave but only because he has an "exhaust port" on the mpc. The membrane keeps the air from going into the horn and directs it out he port so the lips are free to oscillate. I have a Bach cheapo practice mute with an "exhaust port" / hole in the end. I can practice fine on it UNTIL I put my finger over the hole. When I do that, everything stops! Airflow, lip oscillation, and standing wave all stop and there is no sound. Thats why I dislike videos like that. Maybe he doesn't know? :huh: :?::mad::

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    gmonady, you do realize I was being sarcastic, right? :-)

Regarding dangling the mouthpiece, if Bud Brisbois was doing it, it isn't exactly a new concept considering he has been dead since 1978.

10. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Bud Brisbois is not dead; he just went home.