Pencil Exercise / emboucher exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Feb 12, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I was wondering could too much pencil exercise and/or emboucher exercises can they hurt your playing if
    done in excess ?Rowke?

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Find a way to spend the time playing instead. That way you're not simulating, you're doing.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Since you asked in another thread about Pops McLaughlin, I wondered if your question was prompted by what you read on his website? Other TMers have asked about this and you might find those threads interesting:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/pencil-technique-60917.html

...and I posted this in another thread:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/pencil-excercise-mouthpiece-exercise-76925-3.html#post760675

So the simple answer to your question I think is Yes, you can overdo it, so be careful. I believe Rowuk said something about probably not needing/wanting a six-pack on your face, but I can't find a post from him saying this which is answering a question about the pencil.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Bub Brisbois used to do that, on the edge of his hotel bed, laying on his back..... With the small end of his mouthpiece instead of a pencil... Guy was a monster..... I never got to the regular pencil from the golf shorty! :-?

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you are simulating playing while doing the "pencil" exercise, you are not doing the exercise correctly and IMO your practice playing isn't good either.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You of course refer to a No. 2 (medium bore) rather than a No. 1 (large bore) pencil.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure if it would "hurt" your playing, but rather you could be "lead" astray.

8. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Buzzing can be a great exercise and, like a lot of stuff can be overdone. More than 4 minutes a day and you lose effectiveness. Check in with Pops McClaughlin. He has a bool on it and (thread here about him) and he can explain this better

9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009

What the h#+ are you talking about

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The "pencil" exercise is a "isometric" (USAF word)/ "dynamic" (Charles Atlas word) or karate type lip/facial muscle developer. It is one-half of the exercises that can be utilized with P.E.T.E. marketed by Warburton to help develop a firm/controlled embouchure. Sure, like all exercises, such can be overdone and bring on fatigue. Personally, I utilize P.E.T.E. as part of my regimen in preparation to practice/play. It would be impossible to practice/play with proficiency when you've a pencil in your mouth IMO.