Pencil exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Warren, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Warren

Warren Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2007
    South Africa
    Haha...Thats a good one. Let me pencil that down.

2. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I prefer buzzing with and without the mouthpiece when I'm on a layoff, and even then! I'm one of the lucky ones I suppose, I can take 2-3 week breaks and play a whole gig not feeling to banged up. A lot of it is in the head!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Derek,
    if you lay off for 2 weeks and don't feel much of a difference, your gigs must be pretty easy. Muscle tone goes away VERY quickly as ANYONE that has been laid up in the hospital for 2 weeks will be able to report. Mind over matter can only go so far.

I might be able to "squeak through" a gig after a 2 week break. Actually this is a non-arguement, I love the trumpet so much that 2-3 weeks off would be PUNISHMENT.

jazz9 likes this.
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rule of thumb is that we lose 5% a day due to total inactivity. and thanks to old Zeno's paradox and the fact we all talk and eat and drink out of Slurpee straws, we'll never get down to zero. Some players can go a long time without practicing and still do ok (legend has it that Bill Chase was one of those), while others (myself included) seem to suffer after just a couple of days off.

(I'm kinda enjoying the pencil jokes--you guys are pretty sharp!)

5. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    Did you hear the one about the trumpeter looking for his new lead mouthpiece....

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I did a ton of MP buzzing last night because I wanted to watch the new Family Guy etc but didn't want to make noise with the horn (a walking headache sitting next to me lol) so I just buzzed a lot, working on the same stuff I was working on with the horn the day before. I think I got some good practice! American Dad was a pretty good one too.

7. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Sorry they are lead gigs and long blows! Of course I don't feel 100% but I'm more than able to get the job done. Besides this is not a regular habit to have long lay-offs. So the need to play games with a pencil turns me off. Different strokes for different folks!

8. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    you really dont need the pencil in your mouth.Just press your lips together(just as you would holding the pencil).hold till it burns and release.Also tighten down the corners and hold.I do them on the bus in the morning on the way to work.It a good isometric exercise that strengthens the embrosure.

9. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I love the trumpet so much that 2-3 weeks off would be PUNISHMENT.- Rowuk

I completely agree. I sent my trumpet in for cleaning for ONE WEEK, and I felt like I was going to die. I think it helps me to express myself in ways I don't know how to otherwise, even if no one's listening. When I got it back, it took me a week to get like I was. Anyway, the pencil exercise is a subject that many people differ with. I say try it, just not before a major thing in case it hurts you. :)