pencil exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BILL VAN, Apr 19, 2009.

1. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    Hi, I would like to know if anyone ever had real severe pain in the jaw from this. It was so bad I went to the hospital,they did an x-ray of my jaw and it was ok and I am taking vicodin for pain! Its been about 5 days of pain. I know the muscles are tender in the face but this is pain is unreal! If anyone has had this please let me know! Thanks

2. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    any help?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The pencil exercize cannot be the cause of this. Like many other things, it could have triggered something that was already messed up. Extensive pain sounds like a torn muscle.

Not even in my heaviest work schedule did anything trumpet ever result in 5 days of pain (for me). I use the pencil when I don't have time to practice.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Is the pain in the joint of your jaw, or in the chop muscles? When you did the pencil thing, did you feel like your jaw was in an unnatural or extremely tense position (way forward, or crooked or something)? It doesn't seem like the working the chop muscles could cause that much pain, but it you're hurting the joint, maybe the pencil thing isn't just for you.

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I really can"t see the jaw muscles being stressed to that degree with the pencil exercise.This exercise works the muscle of the embrosure and the jaw muscles play a very small role.Maybe you could have thrusted your lower jaw forward to gain leverage and in doing so stressed the joint and surrounding tissue?Your mouth should be closed with your teeth together and your lips puckering the pencil against your front teeth in the bite position.Just a guess at what happened.

6. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    I can't see the pencil exercise as doing that kind of damage either, unless you held it forever. It is only supposed to be done for short periods of time, basically until you start to feel a burn in the muscles that are holding the pencil. Then you take it out and recover.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Have you considered having your dentist have a look at your "bite"?

8. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    Bill
    Read my post on your other thread about this. If it's to the point of you having to take a narcotic for the pain, you deffinitely need to see your dentist. Hope ya feel better soon.

9. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    I would like to thank everyone for replying. I pulled some some muscles there and I am doing long tones & slurs instead. Thanks again

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well, (with hands on hips), Bill has very politely told us that our medical troubleshooting skills just suck. ROFL