Pencil exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Aug 10, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's an exercise you have to be lead to do. :roll: I might try it again. Just hope I don't erase any gains I've made.

ultratrumpet likes this.
  2. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Never tried it. Seems like it would mainly be useful for people who don't have enough time to practice as much as they would like, but I think it would probably be more beneficial to spend 5 minutes doing lip slurs than 5 minutes doing the pencil exercise. If it works it works, though. I just don't see a need for it, for me personally.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    That, or at times when you can't practice. I am usually up at the wee hours in the morning and doing lip slurs that late/early would get me beat up. It doesn't replace good ol' fashioned practice but can substitute it when playing isn't the option.

4. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I do it for a couple minutes every day... Seems to help, or at the very least not hurt

5. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
  6. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Geez, its been around for many years. Chopsticks is an expanded version of it and I know at least one famous trumpet player who was successful with it. It may or may not work for you but it is illogical to discount it if you haven't tried it. In trumpet playing, pragmatism should trump dogmatism

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Why does everyone have to get so doggone dogmatic about these categories? It's nothing catastrophic. It can't hurt, unless you don't ever try, or get the pointy end of the pencil pointed in the wrong place!!!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's nothing but a muscle strengthener. And, it doesn't work very well. Much better are LOS TRES, the Mexican crunch program. :D

Uno: Face cruches ... Tense up the muscles around the mouth, in a thin lipped "crunch". Hold for a few seconds. Release. Repeat. Drink another beer.

Dos: Tongue circles ... With your mouth closed, run your tongue over your upper teeth, then the lower, in a circle. Do this for a minute. Repeat. Drink some more.

Tres: Fish pops .... Hold your mouth open, like a fish, and then close it quickly, to hear a "pop". Repeat. Continue drinking.

It could work. Let me know if you try it. :dontknow:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I will add this to the discussion. It does seem to help me with aperture "awareness". I've also used a stirring swizzle and blow while gripping pencil exercise style.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING!!! Just tried it and hit a QHC!!! Wifey loves the fish popping noise too!! Thanks TJ!! :D

(and it didn't take me 37 weeks to get there, actually went beyond!)