Pencil exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Aug 10, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Go forth and crunch ... Btw, was that the quadruple or quintuple C? :dontknow:

Turtle

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    yes! ;-)

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I'll definitely try that tonight, I'll be expecting to outhigh the piccolo flutist tomorrow :lol:
    I'll break your lips f you are lying :p

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm a turtle. I don't have lips ... I have a beak. Can't break the beak.

Don't break your lips doing too many crunches. And, Dutch beer is just as good as Mexican, for the exercise. :lol:

Turtle

5. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Heineken is the right tool for the job. Cheap, easy-to-remove caps (like the thing you open to drink it, don't know the word :lol:), and lots of the liquid available, the brewery is just around the corner. Though it has just a tiny amount of alcohol in it. Hertog Jan or Grolsch might do the job better, though more expensive.

You just learned three new brands of Dutch beer mate, that will make your day! ;-)

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I have not tried the Hertog Jan, but the other two are HIGHLY recommended for LOS TRES. A good beer is essential here, we're not just strengthening our lips (or beaks), but the whole body. :thumbsup:

Turtle

7. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Hertog Jan is the heavyweights under the Dutch beers, the heavy stuff. I'll just see what's stockpiled out in the garage. It's true, drinking (a little) alcohol everyday will make you more creative and active, which would be usefull for the occasional trumpet player wandering around here :lol:

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Moderation in all things is good .... especially libations and embouchure workouts. Kids, don't try this at home. Adults, try this at home. And remember, don't LOS TRES and drive. :noway:

Turtle

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    A Trumpeter's Battle
    " Perhaps this is a good time to take a look at why so many performers - musicians, actors, newspaper people, writers, and almost anybody working under pressure -- become alcoholics. As psychological as most of these pressures are, they are very real to the people enduring them, and performing very often becomes a traumatic experience, in spite of all the good wishes of the audience. After all, the listener hearing a musician or an actor is only looking for entertainment and is seldom as critical as the performer imagines. But, truthful, the performer is really not thinking about the person or persons listening to him, nor is he particularly interested in them or their opinions, what he is mainly concerned with is pleasing himself -- and I know of very few performers who are able to do this. It probably all stem's back to the performer's attempts, by practice and study, to attain perfection -- a process of mental aggravation stimulated by the fact that we are our own worst critics. but there are other factors too. The person sensitive enough to be creative is also super-sensitive to the extremes anxieties and often resorts to alcohol or drugs for help in enduring these anxieties, with the result that he eventually becomes addicted to whatever crutch he is using. A great number of superb performers have rendered themselves helpless and mentally ill or killed themselves with these stimulants. There's no doubt that this is part of life for many performers and it presents a terrible problem. Which is not to say that performers are the only ones or that the entertainment field stands alone in this regard. My problem, as with many of my contemporaries, was the bottle, but among present-day performers it appears that drugs have replaced alcohol, and the result is often disastrous. But frankly, I have never known a jazz trumpeter worth listening to who has not, at one time or another, had a problem with alcohol."

George Pee Wee Erwin

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I've had problems with other people's drinking. Does that count??? :D

Turtle