Pencil exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Aug 10, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Clifford Brown was a "fair" jazz player. No?

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Clifford Brown was awesome. No drugs, no alcohol. And, by all accounts, as nice a guy as ever picked up a trumpet. :play:

Turtle

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    turtlejimmy; Clifford Brown was awesome. No drugs, no alcohol. And, by all accounts, as nice a guy as ever picked up a trumpet. :play:
    There's always exceptions, and I'm sure Mr. Erwin was speaking loosely, surely he would not have included Doc Severinsen, who he knew quite well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Doc's good too!!!

5. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    And there's the problem with posts and writings like Mr. Erwin's. Just because he was "speaking loosely" doesn't excuse him for painting with a broad brush in a way that could lead younger players to making bad decisions. When I started playing jazz, that same bunk used to be said about heroin. You could have literally taken that passage above verbatim and substituted the word heroin and people said and wrote it all the time. That didn't stand up to any reasonable scrutiny (Dizzy, Doc, Louis, anyone?), and I suspect neither will the idea that booze is required. I would guess the rates of alcoholism among jazz musicians is about the same as the rate among the general population. That means that, yes, some really fine jazz musicians will drink too much. I know several really fine scientists who drink too much, too. That doesn't mean I have to go get sloshed to do good science either. The great jazz musicians who drank or did drugs were great in spite of the addictions, not because of them.

Scatmanblues

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Great in spite of, perhaps for a few ...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you just stick a pencil or P.E.T.E. in your mouth, you'll gain nothing. To optimize you must attempt to squeeze them between your lips. It's a physical exercise akin to isometric training. The pencil part is only 1/2 the exercise provided by P.E.T.E. Well, I personally like P.E.T.E. that I can sterilize rather than a filthy pencil viz an oral infection is the last thing a trumpeter would enjoy. Neither a pencil or P.E.T.E. is used for buzzing as is B.E.R.P. or Buzzzmaster or just a mouthpiece.
    As for squeezing on a mouthpiece shank, it might do if the silverplate was complete and not worn through as most are, and cleaned well enough not to transfer any brass from inside the receiver. Summary, it's your mouth but in addition to diminishing the music, consider your kisses of a favored other should you incur an oral ailment.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You won't get lead poisoning with the LOS TRES exercises. ;-)

Turtle

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I carry a 5 mm automatic pencil as do the majority of students today. Shucks, even most public schools don't provide rotary pencil grinders anymore. Still, I prefer a sharp wooden #2 pencil for most of my doodling and my rotary grinder is vacuum mounted to my desk, though I doubt I could obtain replacement grinders for it should the need arise. Too, I've an array of drafting pencils from 6B to 9H in a cigar box in drawer of my drafting table.

10. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I've just outhighed the flutist Turtle :lol: Conclusion: Don't squeeze no pencil between your lips, drink!

On topic: I do think it works, not significantly, long tones will work way better, but it is a way to keep your lips busy and flexible when you have no horns around.