Pencil exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Usually, lead is not the writing content of a pencil anymore. It is a polymerized graphite. Still, with wooden pencils I'll remain skeptical especially when they are now mostly foreign made and that is due to the paint finish of the wood, even the renown brands as were once upon a time made in the U.S.A.

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    You could also take a pen, with a flat end on the not-writing side, get out the fill (the ink in the tube), and remove the loose parts. You could stuff up the hollow parts to make it heavier as well.

3. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    If I would search for an exercise that helps my endurance I would first look for the things that stress the most.
    For trumpet players I think is lip slurs and maybe the heavier tonguing exercises.
    The next thing I'd do is to search for a method that trains the lips in the same way as those exercises do without the use of the trumpet.
    Like the P.E.T.E. or the pencil exercise maybe...

Like a flight simulator for pilots :)

I don't know if the pencil exercise does that for you

GijsVis likes this.
  4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I heard an NPR story about how one American pencil manufacturer ( I forget the name but it was a biggie) totally gave up regular pencils and only makes artist/draftsmen professional quality pencils

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And the sad part of this is that with Computer Axial Design (CAD) the role of the draftsperson is now vanishing or at least taking such an abrupt change that the hand skills are now becoming useless. I've had plenty of experience on a drafting board both commercial & military and on the easel as well. Shucks, I'm old enough to have inked on Imperial linen and young enough to have scribed on coated Mylar(R) or just inked on it with a special etching ink. Higgins India Ink is no more, the company bought out by Hunt, Likewise Eagle as has been bought out by Berol. Yep, now unused in the bottom drawer of my drafting table is a complete set of German silver drafting tools manufactured by Theodore Alteneder of Philadelphia. On top of the case for my drafting table, beneath the tilting bench lay a German silver meter bar also by Alteneder. The tablel itself is fitted with a light green Borco vinyl layment, a parallel rule and a Vemco V-track drafting machine, numerous scales for the V-track in the top right hand drawer. Too, in the same drawer are Keufflle & Easser LeRoy and Varigraph lettering templates, Goodness gracious, how many triangles and curves abound here and there.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Having somewhere back in time spent a few hours on a flight simulator learning to fly an aircraft and having used P.E.T.E. now for a year or so, I find that neither will train the lips like an actual instrument and the exercises set for that instrument. Neither will such train anyone to ride a bicycle.

All I say is if the pencil, button or P.E.T.E. is used properly, it will strengthen the lip and facial muscles that then allow one's performance with a wind instrument to improve ... but call it "isometrics" as the U.S.A.F. did, or "Dynamic Tension" as Charles Atlas did (if any of you are old enough to remember those advertisements that even appeared in comic books). It is the same physical concept of both force and resistance. OK, how many have exercised with hand grips, rubber balls, plastic clay in hand surgical recovery? Progress is slow if you don't comprehend the methodology and apply the extra effort.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Weight is not a factor if the "pencil" exercise is done properly. All you attempting to do is squeeze the pencil with your lips. Sure it could be a modified pen, dowel, or rod. I still prefer the P.E.T.E. that I keep CLEAN.

8. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Charles Atlas comic strip advertisement designed to sell his "Dynamic Tension" bodybuilding course ran for years virtually unchanged, and as a result, Mr. Atlas died a very wealthy man.
    Don't let a beach bully kick sand on your "clean" P.E.T.E.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, even today you can still enroll in the Charles Atlas physical development program via their website at Charles Atlas, Ltd, the company now owned by Jeffrey L. Hague.

Yes, Angelo Siciliano legally changed his name in 1922 to Chales Atlas and died of a heart attack at age 80 a very wealthy man, leaving a son, Hercules, and daughter, Diana.

Don't ever expect to get sand on my P.E.T.E. Haven't yet been known to use it on the beach, but a trumpet I have played at the beach.

10. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Ed, I have a beautiful log log slide rule that does sine/cosine too. Its in a very, very dusty drawer somewhere