pencil method??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by courtois.evoII, Dec 9, 2008.

1. courtois.evoII

courtois.evoII New Friend

May 8, 2008
    Temanggung
    Hi, Can't someone explain me what it is?:dontknow::dontknow:

2. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is a convenient way of strengthening muscles without practicing. If not used sensibly, you will kave killer strength, but sound like crap and have no endurance. When used with a good daily routine it can increase endurance. Some players talk about more range, but I don't believe it. That only comes from REAL practice and not brute face muscle strength.

Heck, placebos can cure all sorts of stuff so thet's start a rumor that it adds an octave of range inside of 4 weeks IF you have a pencil that is PERFECTLY MATCHED to your needs.

4. courtois.evoII

courtois.evoII New Friend

May 8, 2008
    Temanggung
    thanks John

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I think rowuk is spot-on. I use "the pencil" a couple of times during the day while I'm at the office. I think the benefit is 90% mental and 10% physical. There is certianly a physical benefit from using my muscles to hold the pencil, but during those 10 minutes I'm thinking about what i should be doing with my embochure while I'm playing, breath control, etc, etc. It helps me mentally focus for the precious few minutes of practice I get on the horn each day...

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    speaking of placeabo effect,
    I always eat lot of meat like bacon or steak (bloody) and a glass or red wine one hour before I play, but without bread and other carbohydrates.
    Than I drink a bit of coffe few minutes before I play. Meat keeps me fed, but it doesnt fill my stomach like carbohydrates would, so infact I am fed but
    my diaphragma is still free. And wine relaxes me and opens my mind. And coffe just before the play wakes me up.
    I always play much better when I follow that eating/drinking pattern. I do not know is it placebo but it helps

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    You mean to tell me that you hold can hold a pencil w/ your lips for 10 mins?!?

8. Sparks

Sparks New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    hmm, more on the pencil exercise thing. I've been using this for years, and find it helps build long term muscle fibers for endurance. It's helped me, and I recommended it to a starting trumpet player looking for endurance help. Basically, I said doing it 15sec or so or until the embochure muscles start to feel a little lactic might help. Is there any harm for a starting trumpeter to do this?

9. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    That sounds easy. I never tried it before but I bet I could hold a pencil for 20 mins:cool:

10. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    You wish it was easy. So do I actually.