Penetration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jan 18, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Is there a rule on how deep the shank of a mouthpiece should enter the leadpipe?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no rule about how far the shank should go in to the receiver. There is much controversy about how much gap, if and should be between the end of the mouthpiece and the beginning of the leadpipe. This "gap" can change the slotting, intonation and to a certain extent clarity of tone. I remember reading that Schilke had a perfect fit with his mouthpieces and horns(no gap), Bach never advertized anything, Dave Monette gave me a new mouthpiece for my Ajna2 because there was not enough gap.
    Just like everything else about the trumpet, the single factors are part of a much bigger picture and need to be considered together and not isolated.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rule of thumb is 3/8 to 3/16 of an inch.

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Except I don't use my thumb.

Michael McLaughlin

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.
    Woody Allen

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Vulgano Brother and Trpt2345, what the hell are you talking about?

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What they are talking about is the end-gap.

For a more clear explanation go to the GR website http://www.grmouthpieces.com and look at the "mouthpiece tutorial", specifically the area identified as "gap".

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That's what I'm talking about, the gap between the end of the mouthpiece and beginning of the lead(er)pipe. You can use an unsharpened pencil to measure the distance between the begininng of the receiver and its end; measure the distance between the scratch mark on your mouthpiece and its end, and compare the two. The gap will, as a general rule (aka rule of thumb), be 3/16ths to 3/8ths of an inch.

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Wow! Is there no end to the science of playing trumpet? I'm afraid to ask a question about pinky ring or water keys, I might find position and spring tensions might be critical issues. Thanks fellas....

9. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Good thing you don't play a Bob Reeves mouthpiece! He makes fat shanks and my mouthpiece gap is about half an inch. Plays in tune though. Can't figure it since Schilke suggests no gap at all between the end of the MP shank and the shoulder inside the receiver.
    Go figure!

Tom

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The gap CAN change the intonation. There are other factors like the shape of the backbore, depth of the mouthpiece and throat length that can also change intonation. Every mouthpiece builder has his own "formula". The important part is that the hardware is not in the way of your playing.
    Check out :
    http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/index_e.htm
    click on research, then mouthpiece forms