People are crazy!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gunner, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Gunner

Gunner New Friend

Apr 27, 2010
    Cinci, OH and Louisville
    As I have said in earlier posts, Ebay is full of musical instruments whose value are artificially inflated. Here is a prime example. This horn will need a new lead pipe, valve cap. dent removal, cleaning, valve adjustment, new pads on the spit valves and that might not cover it about $200 - $300, right. They want $75 CONN 1000A TRUMPET CORNET PARTS PROJECT OSHC VINTAGE ?? - eBay (item 380281154786 end time Oct-27-10 19:22:07 PDT) I'd give this guy $10 for it because of risk. The sad thing is there is someone that will buy it.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't know. The ad is VERY up-front about the condition of the horn, and the title says "Parts Project".

If someone has a small shop and needs parts, or if someone knows how to restore horns and they think they can cheaply fix/use the horn, then $75 might be right. Hell, if they have other parts and can easily swap them in/out and sell the restored job for $150 then it would be worth it.

I have no problem with people asking outrageous amounts for things on eBay. The market will ultimately decide what things are "worth".

3. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    yeah, I have to agree with GB. If someone needed a particular part, however small, it would be worth $75 just to get it, as just paying labor on a shop repair could be that much.

There was a guy on here looking for a particular pinky ring earlier, if it was a similar model, he may have been willing to pay $100-200 just to get that part.

I have found ebay (in most cases) to be very accurate on market value because you have people from all over the world averaged in to a thing's worth. Supply and demand rarely lies.

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I wouldn't buy it but $75 is not much money. I have seen other trumpets on ebay that I thought were worth around $100 with a starting price closer to $1000.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Someone won it. It sounds a little high but ..... parts is parts. It's easy to come up with $75 just in odd stuff like valve parts, spit valves etc. I took a look to see if it came with a MP, a good Bach MP seems to be good for $30-$40 around here.