Pep band: Should I play the upper divided parts or not?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Feb 19, 2016.

1. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Hello!
    It is currently basketball tournament season and the pep band music has come out yet again! When I play at these games, for the divided parts, should I play the top or bottom? While I have the range and I am the "lead," most people play the bottom parts and I don't want to be seen as an ego maniac. I normally play the top part, but is this the best choice?

P.S These are all one-part songs with a fair amount of divided parts.

-Audrey

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The part is written that way because it's supposed to be split - someone needs to play it, so why not you? I don't think that makes you an egomaniac - it makes you someone who wants to make sure the parts are covered correctly.

3. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    To be more specific: I am one of 2-3 out of 8 that play the upper part.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If you are capable, do it - your age and newness to the HS band shouldn't be a factor, and especially not at pep band. Pep band is less of a performance than it is an activity. I ran a HS pep band for the first time in my life this last basketball season, and I told my students that we weren't looking for musical perfection - what I wanted was volume, energy and enthusiasm. Pep band is about getting the crowd and players amped up in order to enhance the whole game experience. That's how I see it anyway.

5. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine

You are right! I will continue to play the high parts (rather loudly.)

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something that I could add - not sure if it's relevant in your particular situation because it's undoubtedly different than mine was - is that I was also one of those Freshman trumpet players who quickly ascended to playing first parts. In marching season, all underclassmen, prior to chair placement tryouts, were stuck on 3rd parts, and everyone else fell in playing what they'd played the year before. Once that was over and chair placement tryouts had occurred, I moved all the way up into the first section, so from that point forward, I played first parts, and I'm pretty sure that I played upper parts on anything written as a divided part - that's just what it was. If you earned the spot by being a good player, then at that point, it didn't matter how old you were or what grade you were in.

7. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I play the upper parts because I find it more enjoyable and it needs to be represented! I probably could be considered "one of those freshman," as I am lead trumpet in my relatively small band? Does that sound pompous? Not my intention!!!

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, between Trickg and yourself Audwey11 the subject of parts in Pep Band is complete and I've nothing to add. In my time, during "Pep Band" at basketball games our Band Director was never present, thus it was just up to those band members who attended to do whatever. Mainly it was the same songs and parts as those we played at football games. Administratively our "Pep Band" did not exist and we got no music credits for it.

9. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I started my HS career playing 3rd trumpet for a few weeks and then quickly made it to the 1st section. I remember there were two sophomore players playing 2nd that were angry over it. The band director eventually told them to get over it, I played better. He was nice about it, but he told them class means nothing. The better players move up. Good luck.
    Bob

10. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Play the part that helps balance the divided part. If that's the top, play that part. If the bottom part needs more, play that part.

Both parts need to blend, with possibly the top part coming out a bit more. But because it's higher, it will typically cut through a bit more.

You don't want to overwhelm either part - it can't be bottom heavy or top heavy.

Do the right thing, even if it means playing the bottom part.