Pep band: Should I play the upper divided parts or not?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Feb 19, 2016.

1. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    The highest note in any of our pep band songs is a "high c" for an upper divided part, and I can play that with good tone, however, if my lips were tired, I wouldn't go for it!

2. Greenshield

Greenshield New Friend

Dec 6, 2015
    Nebraska
    Sounds like you've got a bit of common sense... not all of us can say the same

3. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Just a wee bit! Don't over estimate my common sense, haha.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I GOT YOUR PEP BAND!!! Pep band is about jacking the crowd! LOUD RULES!!! NOBODY CARES about your divided part! I've played with this band and it's awesome! 20 trumpets all playing 1st. If "Higher, Louder, Faster" ever applied , it's in a pep band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcB5yPq91Vc

Regardless of the "quality" of cell phones that vid this band, they can't do them justice!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is what I was trying to get at earlier. Audwey, you mentioned playing "high c with good tone" and not going into blatty territory. For this kind of playing, it's all about effect - it can be a bit blatty, and the tone can be a bit crass - it's ok because being musical isn't really the intent, although I would submit that "being musical" depends on the context - in some situations, wouldn't being a bit blatty and crass be "musical?"

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    8 Schiller tubas "blatting" away. The more they blat, the rowdier the crowd. That's the point! GO RAMS GO!!!

7. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    So basically the only acceptable place to blat?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Audwey11, I hope you are doing well in pep band! Here's a link to a VCU Peppas article. It explains "home field" advantage and the blatty tubas! I know this kid and he's a monster player. You may suggest to your director that the pep band be placed in close proximity to the "enemy" teams bench!!! BLAT AWAY!!!

VCU Game Changer! It’s Musical March Madness - Richmond Family Magazine