Percy Heath Tribute

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by wiseone2, Jun 11, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Last night I attended a Celebration of Percy Heath's life. Even though we were neighbors in Philadelphia, I never met him there. We finally met at an NYU sponsored masterclass. He was a personal hero of mine. Percy was a Tuskegee Airman. When I visited Tootie, the youngest Heath brother, I saw Percy's picture in uniform on their mantle. I wanted to be a airman whenI grew up.

The tribute was at Abyssinian Baptist Church. What an assemblage of players.
    Clark Terry, Joe Wilder, Jimmy Owens, Cedar Walton, Barry Harris, Dr. Billy Taylor, Randy Weston, Stanley Cowell, Hank Jones and T.S.Monk.
    The bass players turned out in force. The kid from Camden, Buster Williams was there as was Bob Cunningham, Ketter Betts, Christian McBride and Alex Blake.
    Phil Schaap, Maurice Peress and Stanley Croach spoke.

Jimmy Heath presided over this very moving evening.
    Wilmer
    PS
    Here is a link to the master class.
    http://www.artistshousemusic.com./

2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I have fond memories of the times Jimmy & Percy would come to Suffolk Coounty CC, here on Long Island, and school us in Jazz. Great guys. I'd also run into Percy while fishing for some BIG Striped Bass out at Montauk Point. He will be missed. The day before he died, I saw the Heath Bros (minus Percy) at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. It was sad to me not seeing him up on stage with his brothers. The playing that day, was incredible, none the less.

Greg C