Perfect C trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by resonator, Jan 15, 2006.

1. resonator

resonator New Friend

Jan 7, 2006
    I have my own ideas, but i wanted to know what you guys think. What is the ideal sound of C trumpet in relaton to Bb trumpet? Do you prefer that your C plays as close to your Bb as possible or completly different? If you had to play a c that sounds exactly like a good Bb and plays like it too, would that be a gift or a curse? Lastly, how would the perfect C sound and play in your own opinion? THanks (at least answer one!)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I like a C trumpet that sounds rich and brilliant. Having a potential to create a rich sound with brilliance at its core fits more styles that I play than a sound that is overly anything else. In other words, chock-full of overtones that I can play around with as I wish. So, here it is: Bb's are dark chocolate and C trumpets are dark chocolate with raspberry filling.

ML

3. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Hah...I prefer chocolate with caramel...mmm...caramel...

L

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's a cornet.

ML

5. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    I can see now why cleaning your horn was a revelation...

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    ...goes weak in knees...

7. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I suppose it depends on your playing. I play a heck of a lot more jazz than anything else on my Bb and my C trumpet is for playing with choirs, church gigs, and "legit" solos. My Bb and C both play quite well but they do play somewhat differently. They started their lives as quite similar models but went in rather different directions.

Bb - Yamaha 6335HII
    Valve alignment, added amado water keys, MK full round braced tuning slide, and Curry CCAP on the third valve.

C - Yamaha 6445HII
    added amado keys and full Ken Larson conversion.

They're both quite good but they're also rather different horns and I don't think I'd want their characteristics reversed.