Perfect performances...but not remembering what happened

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ichierzen, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    The title basically sums it up. The reason I ask, is that I have a concert in two hours from now, and this has been on my mind before just about every concert I've had for the last, oh, seven years or so.

There seems to be this "feeling" that I've experienced moments before a solo on only two occasions, where the pressure builds, I don't know exactly what's happening, but I almost get light headed, or a veil comes over my eyes, and I put the horn to my face, and before I know it, I hear the song going by....almost as if I went on autopilot, but a BETTER pilot was behind the wheel (joystick?). What happened to my solo? Where did those few seconds go?

Following the concerts, I've had people congratulate me, tell me how great it sounded, but I wouldn't honestly be able to remember it. I've read of it before somewhere, about hidden potential coming in small bursts and an individual not being able to recall them.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone else had this experience? Have you been able to control it to some extent as to where you can utilize this whenever necessary?

2. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Probably just a question of experience and confidence. I remember the first time I played before 50 000 people at the Montreal Jazz Fest years ago as nothing but a blurr, I was younger, very nervous and the experience was so new and exciting. This time around 20 years later the experience is so different. I remember every moment and how relaxed I was all the while very excited to play for so many people. The same can be said for those who play sports, for those who are lucky enough to play the big game(Super Bowl, Stanley Cup etc..) more than once in their careers will have different recollections of their experience! Be well prepared, have a routine that relaxes you before a concert, know your environment, and most of all enjoy!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are many situations in life where you get caught up "in the moment". I think that is a good sign. If you have processing power available for analysis on stage, your music can't be 100%. That is also why I stress having at least 1/3rd of our practice time being MUSIC and not technical/chopbuilder.

Wild abandon - it sounds like a plan.

I have been playing for over 40 years. If I didn't have recordings, I would have no idea what the truth really is.

4. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    What you describe makes perfect sense. When you're performing your craft perfectly, there is nothing to remember, because you took care of business.

On the other hand, I choked a couple of times during a couple of jury auditions and performances in college and can remember exactly what parts I flubbed up. ;)

5. Sanderson Man

Sanderson Man Pianissimo User

May 16, 2009
    Pure Adrenaline

I still don't remember last year's homecoming halftime show, but our director said it was awesome. These occurrences are't unusual.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Maybe practicing, we tend to reserve part of our mind to listen back to what we just played and judge, good or bad. In performance, hopefully we're in the moment, thinking about what's happening now. Maybe that's why it's harder to remember a performance that's really in the "zone."

Just thinking about this makes me think that my own practice would probably be better if I kept my mind more in the moment.