perfect pitch study/test

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 20, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was wondering if some of the classic trumpet pieces played up or down by a 1/2 or whole step would be decernable without having a reference pitch close by.
    My gut tells me that if the Haydn or Hummel was played in a different key most of you who have played it either professionally or for recitals would be able to tell. I am not sure changing the pitch electronically would be as easy to tell as really transposing it.
    Do we have any brave soul(s) who could record a few measures of a few famous pieces and see how the forum would fair? I think the introductions would be the easier to decern.
    thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Clearly those with perfect pitch would be able to tell straight away.

The rest of us might feel something doesn't sound quite right, but unless it was more than a tone different, I bet a lot of us mere mortals with relative pitch wouldn't notice. :-)

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Since there's the age-old argument about the key of the hummel, there are some references out there - Ghitalla recorded it in E (the one I have) and several other people have as well. It does sound a little different, but...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was searching for "Light Cavalry Overture" a few years ago on Youtube. I learned it in concert Ab ( I believe that's the original key) and wasn't satisfied until I found it in that key. I was always told I have perfect pitch but never took a test (maybe my search was).

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I had messed around with a few only to find I favored the original. Particularly, I recall one I recorded was Handel's Halleluja Chorus in both D and Eb Major and the reason I did it was to reduce the shrill to satisfy my wife's hearing, but as said I prefer the D. Understand my wife really has no ear for music and can hear silent dog whistles although they are disturbing to her ... the worst part being that she will not accompany me to concerts.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are many clues that tell us what key a piece is in. I do believe that each key has its own sound and composers use this to their advantage. You do not need perfect pitch to hear this. The player should be VERY good and the listener familiar with the player however.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Is this really a subject for debate? I've long known that certain keys are brighter and others are darker - I didn't realize that there was any kind of question about that. I doubt anyone other than someone with perfect pitch could discern a specific key, but the overall timbre would be brighter or darker, depending on which key was used.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Patrick .. my brother has perfect pitch.. I on the other hand do not but years ago I had to sing a solo which had a high C in it. I practiced the piece so much that if I was driving down the road and heard a C in a song it would go off like a tuning fork and I could identify that pitch. So it was more in the genre of memorising a note.
    I asked the thread question because I actually believe that those who have played a particular song enough could recougnise if the song was in a different key. I haven't been won over by those who say flat keys are better for ballads or anything like that and yes I am sure if I played the Haydn down a third it would easily recounized. I was just wondering if the memory thing is somewhere in the perfect pitch zone.
    Make sense?

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I have perfect pitch and when something I know has been transposed, I break out in a cold sweat and my fingers cramp!

10. Blasphemy

Blasphemy New Friend

Jun 24, 2011
    North Andover, MA
    I have two recordings of Haydn's concerto: one by Andre and one by Schwarz (more modern). Due to standard tuning changes over the years, the two are a half step apart, and Andre's version definitely sounds off to me. :p