perfect pitch study/test

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 20, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And the rest of us, as soon as the pianist comes in with the accompaniment!

2. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    I always roll my eyes when I hear an orchestra perform The Stars and Stripes Forever a half-step lower than Sousa's original. I suppose those weenie string players can't handle the flat keys! ROFL

3. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I don't pretend to have "perfect" pitch but I think I have pretty darn good relative pitch.
    I can diffinately tell when a piece is performed in a different key than norm.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't think perfect pitch is something that you'd want .... Relative pitch is the thing to have, which is fortunate because that's most of us. With good relative pitch you can play in tune and still be relaxed and flexible with your surroundings.

I played every week in an open jam for a whole winter with an out of tune piano (guitar/vocals). The piano was in tune with itself but flat by quite a bit. There was often a discussion about tuning down to the piano (my preference) or not bothering ... in which case everyone tuned to concert pitch and suffered.:stars: Without perfect pitch, those sorts of conditions are bearable.

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I roll my eyes when the U.S. Marine Corps Band (The President's Own) crescendos their bass and drums in the finale to literally obliterate the reprise of the piccolo part. Sousa wrote no crescendo for basses and drums at that point. Be mindful that Sousa was first a master violin player and reputed to have perfect pitch.