Perfect Pitch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Branson, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    I went to medical school with a big hunk of a guy who never paid much attention at first year anatomy lectures but when asked whether he had read the assignment, could recite page after page of the textbook with perfect accuracy - he had a photographic memory. Of course when I asked him how he did it he couldn't tell me, except to say that ever since he was a kid, after he read something it was all right there in his visual memory, page upon page.
    There were other kids in the class who didn't have a photographic memory but learned every last fact and could spit them back with commendable precision. My best friend, though, was tops. He would take class notes on one 3X5" card while the rest of us were scribbling like mad and filling a notebook.
    At the end of what we thought might be the "key" lecture, the one from which the final exam was soon coming, Bill said,
    "I got it all right here, Tom! Come over tonight and we'll go over it all for the exam." And he waved the inevitable 3X5 card before slipping it into his shirt pocket.

T/

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    People once thought the following:

The sun revolved around the earth.
    The earth was flat.
    If you sailed to the end of the flat earth, you would fall off.

Some cannot face the fact that some people are born with innate gifts the rest of us do not have, like absolute pitch.

Thank to Rowuk for citing my source. I forgot to include it. Wikipedia is chock full of odd and wrong information, but not on this subject.

Rich T.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I just finished reading the report and it answered many questions I had as well as bring up new ones.

Man I'm glad I'm old, retired and have time to read these sources!

Maybe I can find the answer before I take the Coda!

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Thank you Sethoflagos, thank you, thank you, thank you.

What a great group of contributors!

7. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    They also believed there was an ancient sea dragon waiting for ships on the edge of the world.
    Back in the ole Columbus days.

8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Yes, we looked at this a couple of years ago didn't we. This time I scored 1.725 Hz which I think translates to being insensitive to differences within +/- 3 cents. Just a tad above average, but happy with that for my age and the abuse I've done to my ears over the years.

Better on the tone-deaf test (88.9%) which apparently rates as 'not quite exceptional'. Could be the title of my autobiography, that one :-)

10. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I got 0.85 something, and Jerry Hey got 0.0975! :shock: