Perfect Pitch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Branson, Sep 19, 2015.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's funny!!!!ROFL

I was told early on I have perfect pitch by several different music educators. They tested me when I was young. I didn't know it was a "thing" to have, I just have it. I do have a sense of humor, so I can play in any setting. It can be very "painful/distressing" if I let it, especially in a church setting (OH MY GOD!!!). I would hum the chord in my high school choir so we all started out in tune. I wish more singers just had relative pitch! ROFL

2. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Good suggestion. I hereby substitute "highly unlikely" for "preposterous." I just don't buy what might be called the "born with it" theory although I have no doubt that genetics plays a significant role.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Some people are born with incredibly high IQs and do things folks with normal IQs can never accomplish. They are born with it and you don't think someone can
    be born with the ability of absolute pitch?
    I guess years of scientific research and thorough testing on absolute pitch are all wrong then. Those crazy scientific people are always wrong.
    Rich T.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Have you fully considered the possibility that just about everybody is born with at least the potential (albeit temporarily if not nurtured)?

This is what recent research is tending to support, and gets around the 'lucky chosen few' concept if that's what you have an aversion to (which btw I fully understand)

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Thanks for sharing this test. I will take it this afternoon and am very interested in the outcome.

Thanks again.

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Bix seemed to have had perfect pitch. When entering a concert hall on hearing the piano he could give the pitch being 440 herz or other.
    It also helped him to finance his drinking, for a few dollars he played the game that you played (for him blind) ten notes at random (as a chord of course) and he would never fail to know them.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I personally am not keen to the presumption that we are all basically born equal and only need the right environment to bring out the talents. I think this type of drivel comes from those that simply want to slow down the gifted.

Each of us has a unique combination of talents, for some it is patience, for others persistence, others have naturally good breathing and others embouchures that make playing high easy, yet others have strength in endurance or sight reading, others have photographic memories, exceptionally high intelligence or logical thinking. Yet others have the talent of perfect pitch. some are really talented at starting a lot but not finishing anything. In any case, I think you all get my point even if you don't agree.

Having a talent is in itself meaningless. What counts is the opportunities that may present themselves and if our balance of performance (emotional, ethical) is adequate to get us into situations where the talents matter. When it comes to playing the trumpet very well, what is significant depends on our playing opportunities. Perfect pitch can be a blessing when in a good group or a curse when the ensemble is marginal.

The study that was mentioned had a couple of interesting tidbits: there are statistically too few people in the western world with perfect pitch. This could be for a variety of reasons. There are no statistics about perfect pitch in the rest of the world and the inflection from languages like chinese do not require absolute pitch. The inflection is relative.

All of the people that I know with perfect pitch have strong piano or violin backgrounds. Maybe these instruments that are started early in the players life help uncover the talent? I do not know and will not assume.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Did I seem to be suggesting this? I hope not because it's an extreme view driven by dogma.

But so is the opposite extreme that would claim that our abilities and qualities are determined at conception.

Neither position is absolutely wrong, but both are a very long way from the experience of anyone who has raised a family.

Ditto.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, I did not read this into your post. It was more of a comment applying to Lipnutz's post.

I don't think that in this community that it much matters as trumpet players either have it or they don't, more assume it than have it, and none play higher notes louder because of it!

This thread is a pleasant break from valve oil, mouthpieces or bore size however!

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Isn't it just!

Thanks, Branson! :-)